+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Member and Activity

Hybrid View

Default Member and Activity

I've been a member on this site for about a dozen years, give or take a little time off for 'issues'. Anyway, I just looked it up and there are 7,666 members to the site. Just wondering out loud how many are active and participate beyond lurking? No answer necessary. As I said, just wondering.

Allan

Hi. My name is Allen. I just got started fly fishing and fly tying last year, in warm-water. I participate mostly by reading everything I can, pertaining to the species I fish for. I will ask questions when I feel I need to. I don't really feel qualified to give anyone advice at this time, due to my status as a newby.

I feel a lot of them are or were just lurking. I can remember when we had over 9,000 members. This is still the best place to be for fly fishing anything. I do not know what I would do if I did not have FAOL to go to everyday.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Since the economic downturn my participation is way down. Also having two young children with many interests my days on the water are far and few between. For the most part these days I lurk. I try and look through the posts and articles weekly. I like FAOL. I've been a member here for over 10 years. In all that time I haven't found a better fly fishing website or group of fly anglers.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

for almost over two years i was hospitalized due to medical issues and schools. but i'm back and trying to become more active.

I'm not suggesting that anyone in particular is asking for it, but I don't think I nor anyone else should have to apologize for how much they do or don't post here. I've been a member here for 12 years or so I think, since back in the days of the old board format, and while I check in on the site literally every day, the reality is I don't feel compelled to post most days. That's just my personality. I'm never the most chatty or extroverted guy in any given room, and the same applies for this virtual "room". For those of you that feel compelled to post very frequently, more power to you, but just like the fact that there will be some people at the family gathering that seem to do a great deal of the talking and others that are just as much a part of the gathering without saying all that much, so it will be here. One style doesn't infer belonging any more than the other.
    Last edited by John_N; 11-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Traffic is down on all of the fly fishing boards from its peak a few years ago. The exceptions are boards on fly fishing sites where people discuss subjects other than fly fishing, especially where current events and politics are discussed.

As for me, I can't fly fish any more so I no longer ask questions about it. I do try to answer questions when I think I can help.

Blog Entries

I have never----

Sorry Ray, couldn't resist it.

Being just a Viewer (note: I did not use the term Lurker as it could have a connotation of being something bad or evil) is not a bad thing.

Being a Viewer means that people come on, take a look around, read some of the articles and also, and this is important as well, they see who some of our sponsors are. All in all, I don't mind viewers, and sometimes they become participants.

More power to them and if you are a Viewer, feel free to join our group or sign on if you are already a member. We really don't bite. Honest.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread