+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Member and Activity

Don't see anything wrong with people just wanting to audit the class; if they eventually decide to join in, that's great and we all benefit from their input. Although flyfishing is often seen as a singular pursuit, I can't think of too many folks here I wouldn't (sorry for the double negative) mind sharing a hole, or time at the tying table, with (sorry for ending in a preposition).

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Why do you or should you have to sign-in each time you visit this site?
    If you are a registered member you should appear as one....right?
    In my case at least, I make a regular habit of clearing the cookies on my computer, thanks to a general sensitivity to the tracking, advertising, and other garbage that most websites leave behind on our computers. As a result, the FAOL website doesn't recognize me as a previously logged on member, meaning I have to log on anew whenever I want to post something and also that the site only recognizes me as a visitor 99% of the time when I'm on it.
    Last edited by John_N; 11-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    In my case at least, I make a regular habit of clearing the cookies on my computer, thanks to a general sensitivity to the tracking, advertising, and other garbage that most websites leave behind on our computers. As a result, the FAOL website doesn't recognize me as a previously logged on member, meaning I have to log on anew whenever I want to post something and also that the site only recognizes me as a visitor 99% of the time when I'm on it.
    Well, yeah.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Mr Kunz. "When you as old as me, and no longer fish" How old are you that you no longer fish? I'm 78 and still fishing. Last Feb I fished Chile, Aug Montana, Sep Mertle Beach. and I live 15 minutes from the White River, Mountain Home, Ar still going. Bob K.

Krause, congrats --and envy!

Don't know about others, but peripheral neuropathy removed my ability to stand in the water, or even near the water, without significant fear of falling. It also made changing flies or tying knots an exercise in frustration.

When what used to be a stress reducing activity becomes a stress inducing activity, one has become too old to fish. It happened at 67 for me. But I can also savor wonderful memories and will find other activities that give me pleasure! Perhaps sitting on a mall bench and watching pretty young girls walk by.
    Last edited by oldfrat; 11-20-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Read almost daily, especially fly tying. Post occasionally, whenever I think I can add some useful information. 67, demo fly tying at TU meetings, still fish but not as often as I would like to; just too busy with work, kids, church, boy scouts, etc.

John

I joined FAOL about 7 years ago when I knew nothing except that I wanted to take up fly fishing when I retired. I generally looked at the site most days (still do) and learned a lot. I owe you guys a huge THANK YOU for getting me started down this path. Eventually I learned enough to ask some questions, and now I sometimes feel I have something useful to contribute. Now I fish and tie flies, I've built a couple rods - haven't been brave enough to take on boo yet - and have even furled a few leaders. Again, with thanks for the inspiration and information I've gotten from FAOL. This site is a terrific resource! Hopefully I can give something back now and then, but mostly I'm still lurking and learning most of the time.

Cliff

+ Reply to Thread