+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attn vice collectors

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann View Post
    Question - how many Renzetti, DynaKing, etc vises have you seen being resold for more than they originally retailed?

I rest my case.
    Hans,

You can't really compare Renzetti or DynaKing as examples because they're still being manufactured. Just off the top of my head, Thomas, PH Young, Pamola Fly Lathe, Allcock's, and A.K. Best vises go for way more than their original cost when they go on eBay. The LAW vise is now in that group, no longer made and a thing of the past. The sad thing about the LAW vise now, is that it's attracting folks that don't even tie flies and they're buying them as some type of possible investment or must have collectable. Take a look at the bidders buying history on the current listing.

Regards,
    Mark

Hans,

I'm sure your fondness and support of the LAW vise is well founded and I would never argue about yours or anyones preference. Generally, we tye on what we like, what we believe does the job(at a minimum adequately), and what we care to $ spend. But, and here's the 'but', what does, "Question - how many Renzetti, DynaKing, etc vises have you seen being resold for more than they originally retailed?" have to do with anything? I have a Thompson 'A' in excellent condition that I can sell for at least 3 times what it sold for when new. As far as B's comment about some adjustment on the Renzetti, the one I have needs no adjustment to go rotary.
    Cheers.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    what does, "Question - how many Renzetti, DynaKing, etc vises have you seen being resold for more than they originally retailed?" have to do with anything?
    *chuckle*

Hi Allan,

My question was prompted by Byron bringing up the adjustment options of these and other vises as an important benefit - and may or may not be relevant.

Here is a simple fact - in 30 years of tying at international shows, with the most experienced of tiers - I have never ever seen any of my fellow tiers re-align the jaws of their vise when changing hook sizes. One would think, if really so important, the feature would see use?

Cheers,
    Hans W

===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Blog Entries

Hans,
    I have viewed yourself and others tying with a LAW. I have not seen any tying in the rotary fashion. Please bear in mind that when I mentioned the adjustment feature, it relates to tying utilizing the rotary feature of the vise. That is, holding the material and applying the material by turning the vise head.
    In tying with this method, having the hook shank maintain a static location while the vise head rotates is very important.

No one "needs" to tie in the rotary method. However, for those who do, most premium vise makers have an adjustment so that regardless of the hook size, the hook shank does not move up and down in the process of tying rotary.

Hi Hans,

"Here is a simple fact - in 30 years of tying at international shows, with the most experienced of tiers - I have never ever seen any of my fellow tiers re-align the jaws of their vise when changing hook sizes".

The only vise that I know of that allows for non-adjustment is the Regal. I must be misunderstanding what you mean. Maybe the word 'RE-ALIGN"? I know that I don't have to do anything on my Renzetti to go to the rotating function other then place a 1/2 hitch (or not) and swing the thread over the bobbin rest. So I have no idea what Byron is talking about insofar as an adjustment.
    Cheers,

Allan

Blog Entries

Allan,
    If you watch this video, I think you will understand...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShM9JVcLpIE

Think I'll pass on viewing a video.

Blog Entries

The video will explain what you don't understand at this time.

+ Reply to Thread