+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attn vice collectors

Hybrid View

Default attn vice collectors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Lawrence-Waldron-Fly-Tying-Vise-Not-a-Snowbee-Copy-/261329217695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd86f 689f

I
    saw this today and have no interest in bidding on it but I thought a few people here might want to.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I can appreciate the workmanship, but my current hook-holding implement need not worry about being replaced.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

I had one and regret having sold it. It is like a sculpture.
    One thing, though.
    You see videos of well known tiers using one and you never see the tiers using the rotary feature in their tying.

The vise does not have an adjustment to maintain true rotary for different size hooks. As I recall, it is only in true rotary position for a hook in about a size 10 or so. Use a hook in 14 or 16 and you get terrible wobble as the hook shank does not maintain true rotary position.

This is even a bit annoying if turning just for inspection or trimming.

As a stationary vise, it is one of the two best vises ever made! In my personal opinion, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    The vise does not have an adjustment to maintain true rotary for different size hooks. As I recall, it is only in true rotary position for a hook in about a size 10 or so. Use a hook in 14 or 16 and you get terrible wobble as the hook shank does not maintain true rotary position.

This is even a bit annoying if turning just for inspection or trimming.
    I beg to differ, Byron. Review my videos - hook sizes by and large are in the 10-16 range and rotate pretty close in-line. Rotary tying is absolutely not a problem - there is max 2mm offset. What it is not - a lathe-style free spinning vise such as the Nor-vise, but then it was not designed to be spun - it is hand cranked.

The LAW jaws concept was an early design criteria - based on observing actual usage of in-line rotary vises across the board by experienced tiers. Let me ask you - when was the last time you saw a tier whip out an allan key, or a twiddle with screws, to achieve absolute in-line position of a hook shank with each change of hook sizes?

We are talking, IMNSHO, the difference between real world practicality versus theoretical adjustability. The LAW vise design is one with a relentless focus on simplicity and practicality.

Its philosophy and the translation into an actual tool appeals to some, and not to others

Cheers,
    Hans W

Disclaimer - I wrote down the functional specifications for my perfect vise, and Lawrence turned a wish list into an actual product - the LAW Bench vise. He delivered, he deserves all the credit, and I have been in tier's heaven since 1989
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Blog Entries

Hmmmm.

Here is an example of a vise which slides up or down on the curved stem to allow perfect hook shank in-line rotary position regardless of the hook size.

It is built into the design of this, and other vises, for a reason.

It is all about choices............and whether or not you often tie rotary...........

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Here is an example of a vise which slides up or down on the curved stem to allow perfect hook shank in-line rotary position regardless of the hook size.
    And the real world advantage is?

Byron, the only reason I decided to post is your statement:

"Use a hook in 14 or 16 and you get terrible wobble as the hook shank does not maintain true rotary position."

We all have our preferences - mine (and also Lawrence) was for simplicity and real world tying.

For you the ability to micro-adjust the shank position is a priority. You are of course entitled to your view - as I am of mine.

I think we best agree to disagree, and move on to other things

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 11-15-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

The purpose of a vise is simple: Hold the darn hook solidly in place. Of course the angle of the vise head and clearance behind it must aid in tying and add to your comfort. So if a stationary vise is all that's needed, you can get a lot better for a lot lesser. LOL, but serious nonetheless.

+ Reply to Thread