Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
The vise does not have an adjustment to maintain true rotary for different size hooks. As I recall, it is only in true rotary position for a hook in about a size 10 or so. Use a hook in 14 or 16 and you get terrible wobble as the hook shank does not maintain true rotary position.

This is even a bit annoying if turning just for inspection or trimming.
I beg to differ, Byron. Review my videos - hook sizes by and large are in the 10-16 range and rotate pretty close in-line. Rotary tying is absolutely not a problem - there is max 2mm offset. What it is not - a lathe-style free spinning vise such as the Nor-vise, but then it was not designed to be spun - it is hand cranked.

The LAW jaws concept was an early design criteria - based on observing actual usage of in-line rotary vises across the board by experienced tiers. Let me ask you - when was the last time you saw a tier whip out an allan key, or a twiddle with screws, to achieve absolute in-line position of a hook shank with each change of hook sizes?

We are talking, IMNSHO, the difference between real world practicality versus theoretical adjustability. The LAW vise design is one with a relentless focus on simplicity and practicality.

Its philosophy and the translation into an actual tool appeals to some, and not to others

Cheers,
Hans W

Disclaimer - I wrote down the functional specifications for my perfect vise, and Lawrence turned a wish list into an actual product - the LAW Bench vise. He delivered, he deserves all the credit, and I have been in tier's heaven since 1989