+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly line for a 2wt or 3wt stick?

Hybrid View

Default Fly line for a 2wt or 3wt stick?

Come tax time, I'm thinking about adding a 2wt or 3wt stick to my arsenal, probably about 6 - 7' long. I'm thinking more Bluegills and other sunnies. However, Trout are an option, as one of main places I'm going to use that pole is stocked with Trout in the Winter.

I might be doing some bank-fishing with it, but I'm thinking this will primarily be used in my kayak. One of the spots I plan on using it is fairly tight-quarters; an inundated creek that feeds a small lake. The creek ranges from 25 - 15' wide, has straight runs that vary from a hundred feet long, down to 20' at the head of the creek. There are some overhanging branches in places.

I've taken both my 8wt and 5wt into those spot, and used each to catch fish. I have had to roll-cast a few times, due to the cover.

I just read the thread about DT lines. That got me to thinking. Do I want to use a WF line, or a DT line? Will DT lines float?

I know I mentioned panfish and trout. However, a couple months ago, I paddled my kayak up there, and spooked some decent Carp on multiple occasions. I don't normally target them, but, well, you never know. Should I expect break-offs, or will one or both of those poles be too light to handle one, should I connect?

Allen,

Last first, you can certainly handle carp on a 3 wt rod, and I've landed some dandies on a 2 wt. The amount of pressure you can put on a fish is a function of the tippet strength, not the rod weight rating. Remember that in situations like this you always want the tippet to be the weak link, not the rod.....

Dt lines come in floating, these days that's about all you can easily find them in (when you can find them).

A 3 wt. is an ideal trout rod unless you are going to be pitching large streamers or heavy nymph rigs long distances....and a 2 or 3 weight is perfect for 'gills and small bass.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have both a 2wt and a 3wt; like you I use them primarily for small pan fish and they are great fun. For the 3 I have both WF and DT lines. I bought the DT first, but I must say that since I got the WF I haven't even had the DT spool on the reel. I'm sure they each have their place and their own advantages; I just haven't found any for the DT to outweight the WF. JMHO.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

The main difference between a WF and a DT is the running line section. My opinion is that there is not much casting and fishing performance difference unless you are casting at a distance where the running line comes into play. So I preferred the DT for its economy, switching ends on the reel when the first end wore out.

As I recall, the great Leon Chandler once posted the same opinion here.

You can also cut your double taper in half. You'l have 45' of fly line . more than enough for fishing tight places, along with the backing. The other half can be left on the spool it cane on and stored in a drawer until you need it. You just saved the price of a new fly line! With the price of fly lines the days that makes a lot of sense to me. If you need to cast 70' or more a WF makes sense.

+ Reply to Thread