+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clothing for First Winter Steelheading Trip

Default Clothing for First Winter Steelheading Trip

Hello All,
    I am hitting a lake erie Trib in the ohio area for an early December steelheading trip (my first). As a strictly fall/spring SouthEastern NY trout fisherman, I don't think I have the right clothes
    Any recommendations? I have regular lower level Simms StockingFoot Waders and some Korker wading boots. What else do I need? If it matters, I am a tall (6'4") dude.
    Thanks.

rawfishI fish the tribs,silk,wool sox in loose fitting boots.breathable Base layers and a warm hat.You will be fine

Look In to a pair of neoprene booties and fleece wading pants I addition to your normal cold weather layers. It is possible this will be the best 12 hour day you spend standing in freezing water. Good luck.

Bring Layers, light, medium, and polar wieght long john tops and bottoms in any man made fiber you like. Fleece pants that will fit under your waders are a nice option to have. Light wool shirt, vest, wind proof fleece jacket, wool or fleece hat, fleece neck gaiter, rain coat with a hood, fingerless neoprene gloves or fingerless wool or fleece gloves. And last but not least, bring a wading staff!

Have a change of cloths in the vehicle. Keep any extras you don't need that day in there too just in case you want to add a layer!

You could face any and all possible weather conditions from bright blue skies to snow storms around the lake. Check your weather and pack for the worst possible conditions and as long as you don't get blown off the water because of heavy precip you'll have a great time.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.
    Joe Bertolini

If you have a backpack that you use when fishing pack a couple of those chemical body heat pads. They can save you from freezing especially later in the day after standing in freezing water all day. Most of them have adhesive edges, last six hours or so, and can be applied to your tee shirt under your fleece layers. I usually apply them after lunch because i seem to get colder late in the day.

Korkers are great only if they have the spiked rubber bottom soles. The sandstone and shale on our Ohio tribs are smooth and uneven, almost like standing on ice. Felt soles only pickup blocks of snow and it doesn't melt off when you stand in the water. Hope your boots are a size larger for extra socks. Wading staff is a must, because our streams aren't always gin clear so you can't always tell the depth of the water when wading.

Lake effect snow storms are common from now until April, already had two snow storms, so make sure you park where you can get out.

Quote Originally Posted by tigfly View Post
    If you have a backpack that you use when fishing pack a couple of those chemical body heat pads. They can save you from freezing especially later in the day after standing in freezing water all day. Most of them have adhesive edges, last six hours or so, and can be applied to your tee shirt under your fleece layers. I usually apply them after lunch because i seem to get colder late in the day.

Korkers are great only if they have the spiked rubber bottom soles. The sandstone and shale on our Ohio tribs are smooth and uneven, almost like standing on ice. Felt soles only pickup blocks of snow and it doesn't melt off when you stand in the water. Hope your boots are a size larger for extra socks. Wading staff is a must, because our streams aren't always gin clear so you can't always tell the depth of the water when wading.

Lake effect snow storms are common from now until April, already had two snow storms, so make sure you park where you can get out.
    This trip is sounding more fun by the minute! Only a flyfisherman would drive 9 hours and spend lots of money to cover himself in three layers of underwear to stand in the snow for the hope of catching a fish! Most vacations don't contain a warning to "park where you can get out." I am loving it!

Blog Entries

Niacin is a great way to get blood moving... It dilates blood vessels and your feet will feel much better for it. That assumes your core temp is maintained, though. You may get a little flush or itching if you are low on Niacin when you take it. It will pass quickly.

It is standard that the water will be warmer than the air... So remember keeping your head warm is very important.

+ Reply to Thread