Quote Originally Posted by Bob9 View Post
Nice ties, Dave. Is the mouth slipped over the hook, then glued to the head?
No glue. It's an easy tie. After tying in the marabou tail, one takes a single strip of foam. Fold the strip in half and poke a hole in the center of the crease with a bodkin. Slip that hole over the eye of the hook and slide the foam back over the butts of the marabou. Secure one half of the foam strip to the bend side of the hook shank. Near the eye of the hook, the foam should naturally curve up on the sides. This will form the lower lip. Wind the thread back to the hook bend, tie in a strip of boa yarn. Wrap the thread back to just behind the hook eye, and then wrap the boa yarn up as well. Secure the boa yarn with thread wraps and cut off any extra boa yarn. Bring the top strip of foam over the body of the fly and secure it to the hook with thread wraps behind the hook eye. Whip finish and sever the thread. Add eyes and/or markings to the fly as you prefer. The top lip curves down over the edges of the lower lip. I trim the corners off both lips.
James Smith turned me on to this pattern, and it has taken bass up to 19" for me, which is a pretty good bass for Iowa.