+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying Tutorials

Default Tying Tutorials

Does anyone know how to get to the site that was <www.troutflies.com> It had outstanding tutorials on tying about two dozen flies.

Blog Entries

My suggestion is to go on YouTube. You can search for any pattern you wish, and get several instructional videos on nearly any pattern.

I believe that the owner passed away. He was Harry Mason, a great tyer

Sadly, the owner of troutflies.com, Harry Mason, passed away. Apparently his website is also gone.

That was Harry Mason's (username "bones" on FAOL) site. He passed away earlier last year. I believe his son/family agreed to leave the site up for a while so others could continue to enjoy it, and it appears that time has now passed.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Rever,

There is what i consider an outstanding tutorial on Fly tying on this board under Fly Tying that was put together by Al Campbell. In the Beginning section there are about a dozen flies, Intermediate has about 30 and another 10 or so in the Advanced area. Go to the Home Page and click on the side bar button Fly Tying, then click on the Beginning Tying button.

Al walks you through tools and materials and has step by step instruction for tying simple flies to start and working up to some pretty complex flies in the Advanced section. I got back into tying after a 50 year layoff using this instruction about a year ago and now tie up all my own flies, from simple nymphs to spun hair dries and make my own modifications to fit the materials or conditions at hand.

Another thing to look out for is the Beginners Fly Swap which should be showing up on this board any day now. I joined for the 2012/2013 session and it was a big help with my tying, plus the bonus of getting a dozen or so flies from other new tiers and one from the experienced moderator every month for 6 months. What else you going to do in the winter months?

Highly recommend both of above. Check 'em out.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Thanks, Gordon. The FAOL instructions are excellent.

Harry's site was very good for its day but his illness precluded him from taking it very far after a time, and today there are a ton of sites out there with the same information. Charlie Craven's Flybox is the successor 'in spirit' to troutflies.com in my mind: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/

You can also go to the Wayback Machine and type in troutflies.com to recover the original site. Nothing ever disappears from the Internet...

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Charlie Craven's Flybox is the successor 'in spirit' to troutflies.com in my mind: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/
    Nice; I think Charlie would consider that an honor.

Regards,
    Scott

I like the tutorials better than the vids. don't have to stop them after each step. And I love the Fly tying forum here. get SBS patterns all the time, instead of biweekly or whenever. Craven's site is great too!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread