+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suggestions on dressing treble hooks?

thanks rayhill.

scott- that's a really good idea... I've never messed with split thread hackling, I've done split thread dubbing, not often mind you, but removing the quill would eliminate the biggest part of the bulk...

through messing around today, selecting feathers with thinner quills, and using the 1 wrap and catch method, i reduced the bulk considerably... but i gotta try that...

here is a pic of one dressed a bit further, with a lot less bulk...
    WP_20131110_16_16_54_Pro20131110163345.jpg

i liked the one i made for my brother so much i wanted one myself lol
    a bit more going on, but basically the same concept... i squeezed at least 2 more feathers on the treble this time
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Spoof,

I do this a lot. From your description and the photo, it looks like you are trying to get backwards trailing fibers by wrapping hackle then folding it back with thread wraps. I do this differently, using either hair or marabou tied in along the hook shank in three bunches. If you want hackle fibers here, stripping them off the stem and tying them in like hair will eliminate much of your bulk problems.

This is how I do this:

First, tie in the flash. Tie it in just behind the eye right in the middle, then fold it back and wrap over it till over the hook points. Take the thread back to just behind the hook eye.

Next, tie in the hair (if you want feather, marabou is good here as well). Tie in a small bunch of whatever fiber you want to use here between each hook bend (1/3 of total you want). Use only one or two wraps to hold it in place. Once all is added, wrap tightly from the hook eye to above the hook points. Now, add the hackle you've chosen. Tie it in where you stopped the thread, then wrap the thread back to just behind the hook eye. Make as many hackle wraps as you like, then tie off.

Now you have an option. Most dressed trebles done with hackle like this leave the hackle standing out from the shank, like on a dry fly or bass bug. This gives more motion and vibration in the water. You can, if you want, wrap back over the hackle to angle it back, sort of like a soft hackle. up to you, but on a spinner the water pressure over the hackle will push it back naturally as it's retrieved.

I always make sure that no thread is wrapped past the point on the shank that's even with the hook points.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I started assembling my own in-line spinners this year.

Yep, dressing trebles isn't what I would call easy.

I prefer to use marabou to dressing my trebles. What I've been doing is start the thread near the eye, tie in some krystal flash, and wind that down the shank until I'm even with the hook points. Tie in a marabou feather by the tip, and palmer it forward. Tie the feather off, and build up a thread base, then whip-finish and SHHAN.

I do have issues with the marabou barbs getting tangled in the hook tines. I've learned not to worry about it until I've finished the hook, then use a cheap mustache comb to correct that.

I like the idea of marabou barbs in split thread. I may have to try that here soon. Someone mentioned rabbit zonkers? How about inserting the zonker strip into a split-thread loop, cut off the leather, spin it, then wrap the shank with that?

Quote Originally Posted by spoof85 View Post
    OK, so you tie in separate clumps, rather then wrapping hackle? (Ronnie)
    You are correct with using three clumps. I don't use the stems on the hackle if the stems are big, only the tips of the hackle X3. I agree with stopping the thread at the hook points, it keeps the material looking nice.
    I see nothing wrong with your spinners, they look very good but I do understand how easy it is to get bulk on the hook shank.

Ronnie

I dont wrap any hackle on the trebles that i tie, just tie in three clumps along the shank and flare them. I do tie in a thread ball at the very base to help with the flare. This is more of a mepps style. Rooster tails are tied with the hackle around the spinner shank and nothing on the hook if I remember correctly.

here is an assortment of materials

Marabou, bucktail, fox tail and fox squirrel tail

And glow in the dark flash (on a 3/0 heavy treble)

Joe

uhh...nevermind

I tie mine the same way Joe does ..... the thread ball really helps the hair flair out. I usually use squirrel tail, but have also used some synthetics with success. I add a red hen feather to the hook and then tie on three clumps of material. After tying 5-6 you get the hang of the proper amounts of materials to use.

+ Reply to Thread