+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whither the DT fly line?

Hybrid View

Default Whither the DT fly line?

In trying to replace a few older fly lines, I have discovered that many of the major brands of fly lines now have eliminated the double taper fly line from their high end floating lines. For example, Scientific Anglers does not make a GPX double taper, and RIO does not make a Gold or Grand double taper. I wonder if this is for marketing reasons (i.e., can't reverse a WF line so you have to replace the line twice as often) or for some other reason. I personally prefer a DT for several reasons:

1. Permits longer roll casts than a WF with its shorter belly
    2. In making longer casts (longer than the WF belly) I don't have lighter running line trying to turn over the heavier belly
    3. The aforementioned economy of reversing a DT when the tip wears out.

Do others share my regret about the diminishing availability of the DT?

After spending a considerable amount of time online, I located a few older GPX DT lines to purchase, but I fear that next time I need to replace lines, there will be none to be found.

I agree 100%. I think it's strictly to encourage more frequent purchases. There are still DT lines available in lower priced brands (eg, Hook & Hackle brand fly lines).

Yes, completely agree. If I were looking to buy a DT line I'd look at Cortland in either the 444 or 333(which at one time was 'THE' top of the line in the fly fishing world). I'd also email the companies that no longer make a DT and let their customer service department know my displeasure and that, although I prefer their brand, because they no longer made a DT they forced me to buy another manufacturers product.

I help operate a fly shop. No surprise to us that DT lines seem to becoming more scarce. We sell 20+ WF lines for every DT. Very few customers ask for a DT line and most that do are in their mid 50's or older. I'm in the shop one day a week, Saturday. I think I have only spooled 2 DT lines for customers in the last 6 months. A few customers have picked them up to spool themselves.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 11-10-2013 at 01:46 AM.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    I help operate a fly shop. No surprise to us that DT lines seem to becoming more scarce. We sell 20+ WF lines for every DT. Very few customers ask for a DT line and most that do are in their mid 50's or older. I'm in the shop one day a week, Saturday. I think I have only spooled 2 DT lines for customers in the last 6 months. A few customers have picked them up to spool themselves.
    I am fairly new to this sport, and I purchased WF line because it was all there was reference to. Very, Very few references on this and other boards about DT line. OBTW, I am one of those older than mid 50's. Now that I have read some about DT lines, I'm think I should make the investment and switch.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I like DT lines too, and I rarely using WF floating lines. In addition to the Cortland 444 mentioned earlier, the SA Supra DT lines are great. I also have a couple of older Rio Classic DT lines that I really like, but am not sure what Rio has in DT these days.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post

I also work in a fly shop. The DT lines sit on the wall right next to the WFs. Of the hundreds of lines I've sold and spooled on reels this year, I only recall two or three being DT lines.

Blog Entries

Rio sells two Double Taper trout fly lines.

The lower priced (but very good) Mainstream Trout Double Taper in sizes DT3F to DT8F, cost around $40

or the higher quality

Rio Trout LT (Light Touch) Double Taper in sizes DT000F to DT6F, cost around $75

Check out their web site to read how the lines compare and how they are tapered.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Rio still makes their Trout LT in a DT and Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Trout also comes in a DT. Both lines retail for around $75.00.

I use the Rio Trout LT on my 5wt.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+1 for SA Supra DT flylines. Not the "half-line weight" heavier as in GPX or Rio Grand, but excellent in all other qualities you'd ask for in a premium flyline
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread