+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook in vise

Even if your vices have grooves the point AllanB made is still applicable. I keep the hook point visible. I have tried burying it but find that it makes putting materials on the hook more difficult. Just my two cents.

AlanB Guest

The grooves force you to have the point exposed though when tying on a hook of an appropriate size, and only increase the contact around the circumference of the wire. We are essentially talking about small to medium size hooks here as you can't mask the hook point on really large hooks. Mine also has two pockets in one jaw. The smaller one will only take around size 10 and larger hooks. Anything smaller is held in the flat tips forward of the pocket.
    Cheers,
    A.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and good reasons for positioning the hook. I tie on a Danvise and have an old kit vise. Both have flat jaws and the Danvise jaws open and close parallel to each other. So the grooves and all I don't have to worry much about. But after tying some SHWAPF's this past weekend and burying the point in my thumb or index finger, index finger looks like a well used pincushion, at least once on every fly, I think I will pretty much bury the point when I have to sweep hair or hackle back.

p.s. I tie between #6 and #20 and mostly #12 through #16.
    Last edited by holensum; 11-07-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

When I pull back materials, I do so with my thumb, index and middle fingers. My middle finger and thumb come together and meet vertically at the bottom of the hook. That provides a place for the hook point to go between them, reducing pokes. I still get poked sometimes. YMMV.

Can someone identify an instructional book on fly tying in which the author recommends burying the point of the hook?Not that that precludes using that method if you prefer it but I'm just asking because I haven't found any.

I have seen it (burying the hook point) recommended. I think I know where but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't buy the book, partly because I thought that was bad advise.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

GREAT. Now I have the authority of Deke Meyer for burying the hook. Thanks Jay!
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I suggest that you not only "don't bury the point" but also "don't bury the barb". The thinned down section at the root of the lancing cut made in raising the barb is the weakest spot in the hook. Keep the barb area exposed also.

Jay,

IMHO, there is no wrong way to tye flies. Some ways are considered and widely accepted as being better then others. Regardless, if you're more comfortable with one method, use it. However, I have looked through about 12 instructional fly tying books by renown tiers and the one you cited is the only one in which the hook is positioned in the vise like that. Again, if you're comfortable and it works for you, have at it.
    Tight wraps.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread