Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
And why are they cheaper?
An India hen comes from India. A Chinese hen comes from China. An American hen comes from (fill in the blank). (Smile)

They are cheaper because they come from India. (Are you still smiling?)

And that's the whole truth, but you already knew that by now.

Many years ago, I used to import necks from India for resale to the fly fishing industry. Although much of what has been stated here about the size and quality is correct, I also got some wonderful quality necks, and amazing colors among them, including Crees and various shades of natural dun. My purchase cost at the time was something like $0.50 per neck for the top graded rooster neck, and about $0.25 for hen necks. (That included the air mail shipping cost from India.) I don't recall that my Indian suppliers ever increased their prices to me, even during a period of time when inflation here in the US was running rampant, at least by today's standards. I could sell just about all theses necks that I wanted, and up to about $10.00 per neck - so it wasn't a bad business...then Buck Metz and Henry Hoffman started developing and selling their amazing genetic hackles...and the rest is history.