+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For the Irish Fly Fair in Galway

Hybrid View

AlanB Guest

Default For the Irish Fly Fair in Galway

The Irish Fly Fair is this weekend 9th & 10th November in Galway Ireland. I'm tying on the Virtual Nymph stand so have been tying up flies using their materials ready for the show.
    BurrowingNymph_0003Anon_zps21ca2614.jpgVNFlees_0005_zps9c5d6342.jpgVNFlees_0003_zps04502b4e.jpgVNFlees_0006_zpsb8185653.jpg
    Just thought those of you not going might like to see them.
    Cheers,
    A.

Really beautiful work!! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice. Would like to see the patterns as FOTW.

Rick

AlanB Guest

The last one I can't, its not my pattern and is out there already, even though I've changed the tying process quite a lot. The original method is here (PDF Download). The others I'll I start work on when I get back.
    Cheers,
    A.

My self-esteem just got flushed down the toilet.

AlanB Guest

They are really not all that complicated. There may be a few steps more to them than standard flies, and new materials that will take a little getting used to. Otherwise not hard if you tie deliberately, not relying on rhythm.

Nymph Skin is a wide strip of latex that is quite thick. It stretches, so body profiles can be made by adjusting tension as you wrap. Steve Thornton (who started Virtual Nymph) does a caddis pupa using this method which has an air bubble trapped in the abdomen to make it buoyant. When I first saw it I thought it would be difficult, but it is really quite easy to do.

There is a FOTW I did some months back using Nymph Skin here. That should give you an idea what it is like to work with.

Steven, as for self esteem remember I make a good part of my living from tying, and, though these are intended as fishing flies, their primary aim is to catch fishermen. As I have often said, "I've never had a fish pay me for a fly!" Also they are show flies. You don't go to a show to see the mundane. I have had the privilege to be next to Hans on tiers row at a show for two days, that's a very hard act to follow!

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread