+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Irish Fly Fair in Galway

AlanB Guest

Default For the Irish Fly Fair in Galway

The Irish Fly Fair is this weekend 9th & 10th November in Galway Ireland. I'm tying on the Virtual Nymph stand so have been tying up flies using their materials ready for the show.
    BurrowingNymph_0003Anon_zps21ca2614.jpgVNFlees_0005_zps9c5d6342.jpgVNFlees_0003_zps04502b4e.jpgVNFlees_0006_zpsb8185653.jpg
    Just thought those of you not going might like to see them.
    Cheers,
    A.

Really beautiful work!! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice. Would like to see the patterns as FOTW.

Rick

AlanB Guest

The last one I can't, its not my pattern and is out there already, even though I've changed the tying process quite a lot. The original method is here (PDF Download). The others I'll I start work on when I get back.
    Cheers,
    A.

My self-esteem just got flushed down the toilet.

AlanB Guest

They are really not all that complicated. There may be a few steps more to them than standard flies, and new materials that will take a little getting used to. Otherwise not hard if you tie deliberately, not relying on rhythm.

Nymph Skin is a wide strip of latex that is quite thick. It stretches, so body profiles can be made by adjusting tension as you wrap. Steve Thornton (who started Virtual Nymph) does a caddis pupa using this method which has an air bubble trapped in the abdomen to make it buoyant. When I first saw it I thought it would be difficult, but it is really quite easy to do.

There is a FOTW I did some months back using Nymph Skin here. That should give you an idea what it is like to work with.

Steven, as for self esteem remember I make a good part of my living from tying, and, though these are intended as fishing flies, their primary aim is to catch fishermen. As I have often said, "I've never had a fish pay me for a fly!" Also they are show flies. You don't go to a show to see the mundane. I have had the privilege to be next to Hans on tiers row at a show for two days, that's a very hard act to follow!

Cheers,
    A.

never the less... bravo..
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Got my blood pumping! Awesome nymphs and yes, they caught this fisherman

Blog Entries

You're the best AlanB!!!!!

AlanB Guest

Thanks Gents,

I'm writing this from my room in Galway Ireland. The show has been great. Personal troubles have kept me off the show circuit for the last five years. Its great to be back. The show is over now, and early tomorrow I will be setting off back.

Yesterday the Dragonfly Nymph above was paid a great compliment. I had tie up half a dozen for Dale (the owner of Virtual Nymph), he put them on the stand. A couple of Polish competition fisherman came by, saw them and asked to buy them. Dale hummed and ared about the price, then one of the guys said, "Will fifty Euros be enough?" (About $70)

Now it is time to see what comes of this show. Maybe some orders and possibly a demo or two. Its been a long road, but hey "I'm back"!

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread