Compared to a Stimi, even with the foam body, it's not going to stay on top for long (even when fished in the relatively softer water along the bank); compared to the real thing, it seems a bit skinny. I tied the Bird for fun and will play around with it when I get the chance but, for "serious" fishing (kind of an oxymoron) during a hatch, I want something that's going to catch fish and stand up to some abuse; nothing worse than having to change flies when the fish are up and willing because your fly won't stay up or is reduced to thread and a bit of hair. I thought the Rogue's I tied would fit that bill but they proved to be a bit fragile

this one proved to be a lot more durable, floated like a cork (but stayed low on the water) and caught fish

Carnage version

My Stimulators, not the pattern but the ones I tie, wouldn't make the cut either; for whatever reason, mine are never the high floaters that everyone else seems to come up with, and I've wrapped half a rooster on the hook to keep them on top of the water. In salmonfly sizes especially, I find it a lot easier to keep that big piece of iron up where I can see it with foam rather than hackle and floatant.

Regards,
Scott