Contrary to popular opinion in a lot of the fly shops I visit, $600.00 rods, $400.00 reels, $300.00 dollar waders, and $200.00 wading boots won't help you to catch a single fish if you can't present the fly and control the line. Presentation and line control are the key elements to consistent success in fly fishing, and both are under the direct control of the fly fisherman.

As a guide, the number one mistake I see being made by novice and intermediate fly fishermen is carrying more line on the water than they can control which results in drag on the fly, and missed hook sets. So, if you want to get better, shorten up the line to the point you can control the fly, and then work on techniques that will let you increase the distance. Learn how to throw a pile cast and a hook cast, learn how to mend in the air, and learn how to mend on the water.

Every time I'm on the stream I set aside time to work on both presentation and line control. I like to find a particularly nasty stretch of water, in terms of difficulty in getting a good drift, and then work on getting a good drift. The 15 or 20 minutes I spend working on technique rather than fishing pays off in terms of making me a better fisherman.

------------------
Dan S
Slow down and savor the moment; it will be over with all too quickly