+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synthetic materials

Question Synthetic materials

For reference purposes has anyone ever composed a list for all the different synthetic materials that are sold these days. It is very obvious that most every distributor will add his own name to something and try to profess its uniqueness. It would seem that this would be a nice contribution for someone with a background in the plastics industry. There was such an article on Antron (nylon rug yarn) a while back that was great.

Ray,

It would be nice, but I don't think it's possible.

I'd estimate, and I'm probably on the low side, that there are at least several thousand 'different' synthetic materials out there that have a fly tying application. Many may be the same or similar, but still there are lots of them. Sorting them all out, describing them and listing differences and nuances between similar materials would take years of effort, and once the book was published, it would be obsolete very quickly as new materials come into use.

Just my take on this. Maybe someone will try it. You never know.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Buddy; Here is the article on nylon rug yarn:

Antron

By Mike Hogue

Buddy: Here is the article on nylon rug yarns.

In this article I thought I'd discuss a synthetic product which has become a
    little confusing. Whether you are a new tyer or an old hat , I'll try to
    unravel the topic for you. Antron is one of the most versatile new synthetic
    materials fly tyers have available. The "early pioneers" of this
    material were Gary La Fontaine and John Betts. Because of its unique texture,
    size and shine, this product offers many uses of the fly tier. Antron can be
    dubbed,twisted, teased, used for wings, shucks , parachute posts or mixed with
    other products such as flash-a-bou for some really interesting bass bug tails.
    The problem is that there are or so many products on the market that many tyers
    are confused and have no idea what the stuff is or good for. Some of the names
    for the product include: Z-lon, Permatron, Darlon, Antron Body Wool, Aunt
    Lydia's sparkle yarn, Crinkled Z-lon and so on.

Very simply antron is just a rug yarn. Millions of miles of the product have
    manufactured by DuPont for use in carpets. Antron can be found in many places.
    Often the cores of mylar piping contain the fibers. A product called Aunt
    Lydia's sparkle yarn is sold on small cards by the Wapsi. It is also sold in
    bundles at Wal-Mart for around $.85 for a very large package. Still another source
    is a mountain throw rug. These are braided kitchen rugs sold at lumber yards
    (Mernard's ) for around $2-$3.00. By buying one of these rugs you will have
    miles of the stuff. The main thing to look for when buying the product is to
    fray the yarn and look for a sparkle texture to it. Antron is typically very
    slick, slightly crinkled and has a shine to it.

Antron easily accepts markers and can be colored any shade. To color Antron you
    must use a permanent water proof marker that has an alcohol base ink otherwise
    the ink will wash out when the fly is used. These markers are sold with such
    names as Pantone, Chartpak or Sharpies. To color some yarn simply rub the
    marker across the yarn. Now instead of searching for the perfect color just hit
    the yarn with whatever marker you like. For a wood duck type flecked wing dot
    some cream Antron with a brown marker and separate the fibers by pulling the
    ends to uneven lengths. To make a grizzly effect, use a black marker and make
    bands across the yarn.

Another use for Antron is in making wings. Instead of searching for the perfect
    kip tail simply tie in Antron and cut to any length you desire. In making a
    parachute Antron makes the perfect post as it can be cut to any size and can
    made thicker or thinner simply by adding or removing material. You can make a
    hi-vis wing by adding a center core of orange Antron to your post.To make
    wonderful spendt wings for spinners, tie the material in figure 8's across the
    shank of the hook. Antron can be added to CDC or deer hair wings to give them
    more sparkle. Tying Antron in as a tail makes for a wonderful shuck.Now lets
    tie a few flies.

Blog Entries

Ray,
    How are you familiar with a Hogue? He and I lived in Des Moines at the same time. I knew him well before he moved to the East Coast. We fished together a couple times in NE Iowa.

One thing about what he wrote: Antron doesn't make a very good shuck. It mats when wet. The original, and still best material for shucks is Zelon unless you are putting a little atop your fly's tail and then the matting is not as important as it sits atop stiff hackle barbs. My personal opinion, of course.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Byron; But when the shuck is in the water won't it "fluff up" immediately?

Blog Entries

Ray,
    Please explain "fluff up". I'm not sure I follow. Do you know Mike??
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread