+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teal flank soft hackles

Hybrid View

Question Teal flank soft hackles

The nice, strongly defined barring on teal flank feathers makes me want to try them as hackles on soft hackle wets. My thought is that the more brightly defined barring might be better. Has anyone tried them? I've taken a quick look but can't find any recipes that specifically call for teal. All comments are appreciated.

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=65020

I've never used them like that, either, but the effect is pretty cool.

Regards,
    Scott

Have seen them used in larger steelhead patterns, but not trout flies. Barbule structure is too big for smaller flies, in my mind. Can be used, of course, as a substitute for mallard, whenever you are trying to get a more pronounced barring and darker pattern.

More useful as wings on patterns such as the Sheep's Creek in my mind, or tails/wingcases in flies like the WD40. No reason why you should not experiment of course and if you come up with something post it, because I've got a fair amount of teal I'd like to make use of as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    The nice, strongly defined barring on teal flank feathers makes me want to try them as hackles on soft hackle wets. My thought is that the more brightly defined barring might be better. Has anyone tried them? I've taken a quick look but can't find any recipes that specifically call for teal. All comments are appreciated.
    Teal has been a standard for collars on spey flies for well over a hundred years. It is due to its great length that it works so well for spey flies... and would be difficult for smaller flies.

Using them for spiders, tied and wrapped at the barb, wrapped, drawn forward under the body, and then folded back and propped by the head works well with teal, though.

I use mine for some rolled wing wets. Beautiful feathers (and delicious birds)!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

AlanB Guest

There is one pattern I tie for a friend that has green dyed teal as a collar at the head. The teal being spun onto the hook shank right at the start of tying then folded back like the blue jay is in Irish Bumbles. He uses it on Badanloch, I've tried it on other lochs but never caught on it.

I have also seen it used in Irish Dabbler style flies in place of the mallard for the veiling. Though this is more a winging technique than a hackling one, though the finished effect is more like a spey hackle than a wing.

The difficulty in tying a hackle in proportion to a trout fly is, I think, what has stopped it from being used in this way.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread