+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparadun vs. winged adams

Default Comparadun vs. winged adams

I get the impression from reading a couple books (always dangerous!) that one could substitute a comparadun for an adams, or vice-versa, because there is not 2 cents worth of difference in their trout-catching ability. May I have opinions on this from the wisdom of users of this web site--you've been fishing for trout much longer than i have. A related question: If you think the choice between the two does not matter, or you prefer the comparadun, do you like best the sparkle compradun style or the usual minimal microfibet or etc. tail?
    Many thanks,
    GGH

I prefer a parachute adams to the standard adams. I prefer a sparkle dun to the comparadun.

I have been in situations where a grey sparkle dun out fishes a parachute adams and in other situations where a parachute adams out fishes the grey sparkle dun.

A parachute adams has the hackle fibers ABOVE the body, and therefore, the body of the parachute adams is in the film. The body of the standard adams is ABOVE or on the film. The parachute fly, therefore, imitates an earlier phase of emergence than the standard adams. The parachute adams is an emerger and NOT a dry fly and represents a more vulnerable phase of emergence.

Similarly, the sparkle dun tail represents the shuck of an emerger and is more vulnerable than the fully emerged comparadun.

"Most fly fishers think of the Parachute Adams as an adult dun imitation, but in reality it is an emerger. In stage 3 the nymphal or pupal body is just under the film and the legs are spread out on the surface to support the body. The body sticks almost straight up, with the wings plastered tightly along the top of the thorax as they continue pulling up and out of the wing pads.Light reflecting off the upright body with the wings plastered tight along the top, gives the emerging insect a shining, light-colored look.

Still not convinced? Toss a Parachute Adams in a glass of water and view its position."

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content/film-flies/2
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

I vacillate on this. I believe your best bet, generally, is to fish a cripple or stillborn which would be well imitated with a sparkle dun. It represents the stage of the insect on the surface which is most vulnerable to the trout, and, therefore, they go after them.

On the other hand, as they say, if you read the several books which research flies from below the surface and what the trout sees with his problem of living below a mirror, you will find that the most prominent thing a trout sees when a fly or insect is floating toward it are the wing points.

Having said that, I use sparkle duns probably 90 percent of the time vs. divided wings. It is only when the sparkle dun does not work that I turn to divided upright wing patterns.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.

FWIW - Depends on type of water. Fast choppy water favors hackled fly, ala Catskill style. Smoother water then comparadun type. Hey, that's what Al Caucci said and wrote.

Blog Entries

I believe that the sparkle dun, as compared to the original comparadun, does much better in faster water.

Additionally, the sparkle dun, with a trailing shuck as opposed to tails is tied to represent a struggling emergent insect which is a favorite of the trout as it is an easier prey to the trout than a standard dun.

I most often tie and fish a Haystack style over both the Comparadun and Sparkle Dun perosnally. But all 3 catch fish just fine. I go by the fish, all styles have their day on the water and more often than not one will outfish the other on a given day.

Ralph

Generally I do not fish either, but when I do, I prefer the classic Adams because it is a more aesthetically pleasing fly than the Comparadun. More fun to tie as well, in-my-not-so-humble-opinion.

As SilverCreek has observed, however, it never hurts to have multiple patterns in the box because you never know what they might prefer that day.

I would fish the pattern I have most confidence in.
    They are both time-tested fish-catchers.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post

On the other hand, as they say, if you read the several books which research flies from below the surface and what the trout sees with his problem of living below a mirror, you will find that the most prominent thing a trout sees when a fly or insect is floating toward it are the wing points.
    You are correct so far as what is seen in the window. What is seen first through the window is the highest point of the natural.

As you are aware, a fish actually sees the portion of the emerging insect such as the shuck before it can see any of the above film structures of the emerger. Even if the insect is a completely emerged dun on the film, it sees the depression of the film by the legs and abdomen of the adult. These "points of light" due to the depression of the film is visible well before the wings of a mayfly is seen in the window.

Here is an underwater photo of a dry fly and then an illustration. You can see the hackle points that have penetrated the film.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Yes. It is explained well in the book by Goddard and Clarke. They were among early efforts to view what the trout sees with their slant tanks. Can't locate their book right now, but it is a good one on the subject.

"The Trout and the Fly"

+ Reply to Thread