+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Casts Like An Oni Rod But Costs And Weighs A Fraction As Much?

Hybrid View

Default What Casts Like An Oni Rod But Costs And Weighs A Fraction As Much?

With luck I'll have one in my possession tomorrow.

Denovich, please give us a report on your impressions of the rod and how it fishes for you after you have had a chance to play with it for a while. I bought an Nissin SP 390 and I am quite happy with that rod. Its a lot of fun to fish and it does more than I thought it could possibly do. Your coming rod should be even nicer and more capable than the SP 390 rod is. I am really looking forward to reading your report on the Air Stage 390 rod....Golden.

Perhaps Mark will have more to say to add to his response on T-Bum's sight. But until then here is what he had to say so far: http://www.tenkarabum.com/auspicious-beginnings.html
    And, I have to say that looks like a really nice brook trout in spawning colors.
    Last edited by Golden; 10-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Damn. I spent too long working on a reply... it was cast into the void when my session was redirected to the login.

Anyway: I have a Kitoyaki 27, a Nissin SP 450, and a Diawa 43MF. My uncle bought my Suikei (soft). That left me with a gap in my range... right in the heart of the tenkara spectrum. Since I most often fish streams that are a bit wider/slower than traditional tenkara streams, I was looking for something with some reach... but not as tip-heavy/wobbly as the SP 450, but lighter and with a bit more finesse than the Diawa 43MF. The Zerosum 360 or 400 in 7:3 or the Pro Spec 2-way were near the top of my list... but I think I like the Seiryu/Keiryu corkless grips (I've only ever cast rods I've purchased, so I can't say for certain that I prefer corkless, but I can make a rational case for them.) I'd been pouring over the selection at plat.co.jp, and it was good timing when Tenkarabum announced availability for the Air Stage 390.

I knew from the first cast... actually I knew before I even put a line on it that this would be my go-to/favorite fishing rod. It feels so light, yet crisp. My first cast in the driveway confirmed my initial impressions. It was on target. I went from trying to hit a dinner plate, to aiming for the center of the dinner plate. The rod is not tip heavy. The casting stroke is very precise and controlled. It's just right. Oh, and it's rather pretty too.

Oh, it cast a size 8 BH wooly bugger quite well. And I mean it really cast/propelled it... it didn't simply chuck or lob it out there.

If you have any specific questions ask. I'm keen to try casting some longer/different lines on it and see how it does, but I have no reason to doubt that it will excel.

Denovich, thank you for the update. That's the kind of information that can really help someone who is trying to make a rod buying decision. I do have a few questions though, like what size line you like the best on your Air Stage 390? Have you cast it with level or tapered FC lines? Have you tried any furled lines on your 390? What line length do you prefer to use - short or long line type techniques? Are you fishing dry or wet flies? If wet, are they mostly weighted or unweighted flies? I am just trying to get a feeling for the way you prefer to fish and how that might have figured into your rod buying choices. Did you let the Suikei (soft) go as a favor to your uncle or because you were not all that fond of that rod? Thank you in advance should you go to the trouble to answer any or all of my questions.

On the matter of cork VS corkless rod grips, for what this is worth, I have some of each and I prefer the corkless grip rods for the lighter weight and added sensitivity you get from having your hand directly on the rod blank. But to each his own.

+ Reply to Thread