+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD's

Default PFD's

DUH! Some times I wish I could remember to get my brain out of the wash! The post below strated in the General Topics. As I was scrolling down a minute ago, I thought, "Hmmm, an excellent place to ask!" So, here is the orginal post, forgive my aged brain!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Hi,
    I was out boating, well fishing in my NuCanoe, today and I got to thinking, "This PFD is very bulky". So, I'm searching for some thoughts on PFD's. I won't boat without one, after being dumped out of a canoe once. What do people use? Those horse collar ones? The ones that are the Michelin Man lookalikes? Thanks for any input.
    Mike

It depends on where I am fishing. If the water is "dangerous" I use a large Stohlquist Fisherman which is very bulky, but very safe.
    If I am in protected water I use an old vest type PFD that I have had for a long while.
    I fish a lot of small waters, ponds and watersheds mostly and the smaller makes me feel fine.
    I am seriously considering a SOSPenders.
    There is a local Canoe & Kayak group in this area and it amazes me how many of them run the rivers (no white water) with no PFD.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I think all of mine are Stern's fishing vests, with pockets, and all. They are very comfortable, and don't feel like I am wearing a pillow.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

It's against the law to run any of the rivers around here without wearing an approved PFD, and I do mean wearing it. They will pull you off the water, and write you a $100.00 ($250.00 for a minor) ticket for not wearing one. In the lakes and larger rivers, it's OK just to have a PFD on board for everyone, but on the Ocoee, Conasauga, Hiawassee, Oconee (in other words, rivers with rapids), you'd better have it on. They don't play around with this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill Budd View Post
    It depends on where I am fishing. If the water is "dangerous" I use a large Stohlquist Fisherman which is very bulky, but very safe.
    If I am in protected water I use an old vest type PFD that I have had for a long while.
    I fish a lot of small waters, ponds and watersheds mostly and the smaller makes me feel fine.
    I am seriously considering a SOSPenders.
    There is a local Canoe & Kayak group in this area and it amazes me how many of them run the rivers (no white water) with no PFD.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 10-23-2013 at 12:14 AM.

a few of my older fishing friends wear one even when wading some rivers. They like the inflatable kind because they are not bulky, maybe that is what you mean by 'horse collar'. Inflatables are a bit more expensive, but apparently are more comforable.

I have had a Mustang brand inflatable PFD for a long time. I wear it when floating and have never had to inflate it. I'm old and not very coordinated so I would probably sink like a rock without it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

PFDs should always be obligatory. Here's my favorite story about them. In the Coast Guard I did review of inspection reports regarding accidents. One occurred in Chesapeake Bay were a young couple and their infant took a small guided boat across the bay. The engine exploded. All died from drowning except the infant, who survived. The only one wearing a PFD was the infant.
    SOS are easy to wear, you won't notice they are there.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

I just purchased 2 of the auto inflate horseshoe collar type ones from Cabelas for about $80/ea to wear in my small 13' FG gheenoe since space is at a premium in this little boat. Test fit in the house felt fine and not restrictive, but not been out to wear it for any lenght of time. I figure wearing this is better than tripping over the yak styled pfd laying in the floor.

I also wear the Stearns Vest. And yes, it makes me feel like I'm wearing a pillow but I'm big enough that I basically start out feeling like a pillow. I looked into the inflatables, but found they don't support enough weight for my mass and they are way out of my budget. So, I'll live with the Stearns Vest. "Live" being the key word here.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Auto inflatable,in Texas fishing in the heat they are very comfortable, you forget you are even wearing them.

+ Reply to Thread