+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFD's

There are some very comfortable PFD's on the market. If you look around, you can find some that are made for paddling, and once you get them adjusted right, you hardly know you have one on. I picked up the last one I had from sierratradingpost.com -- last yeas color at about 75% off, so check them out.

Trust me crookedpaddler, come navigate the Flint, Ocmulgee Rivers in middle or south Georgia or any number of rivers in the deep South in July, August or September, you will know you have it on.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I had a chance to wear my inflatable horseshoe collar PFD, and had on waders and such in 50* weather, did not even realize I had it on after 5minutes, if not less time. Very comfy, its a Type 4 I believe and must be worn at all times to be "legal", and I will wear it since it is very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    I believe and must be worn at all times to be "legal", and I will wear it since it is very comfy.
    That's correct in the state of Georgia, I know. My experience has shown me putting it on after you are in the water would be difficult at best. My Stearns inflatable has 4 pockets that will hold 2 small and 2 medium fly boxes.

Melk,

I should have come here too! I just posted the same thing in the main board. I'm looking for a PFD to use on my float tube. One of my good buddies got swamped by a speed boat on Winnipesaukee. Luckily he had a PFD. His story has made me decide I need to get one.

Alberto

Default Update

I finally cracked open the piggy-bank and purchased an Onyx Auto-Inflating PFD. The only downside is that I wish I had done it long ago.
    On my first day out with it I put it on as I was launching the boat, wore it all day and when I got home that afternoon I realized that I still had it on.
    I hesitated for a long time because I am a bit rotund and I thought the strap running around the biggest part of my belly would be uncomfortable.
    The answer to that is - Nope. It lays flat on my shoulders and down each side of my chest. It never got in the way and as I said I forgot that I was even wearing it. I bought it at a local shop and with an extra rearming kit was just a bit less than $150.

Note: I am a bit of a tightwad and when I am happy spending that kind of money for something I don't HAVE to have is quite and endorsement.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Congrats on your new PFD. I've been wearing a manual inflate for several years. I had a guy I fished with tell me his auto inflate auto inflated in his garage. Since KY is not exactly desert, you can want to consider your storage options. I am thinking one of the camper size ziplock bags when not on the water.

Thanks Jesse - I keep the new PFD in the mesh bag in which it came. I bring it in the house and it hangs in my Fly-tying - Ham Radio - Electronic workshop - Computer Room. I have heard stories of folks storing them in their power boats and finding them inflated when retrieved.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread