2013 Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for Oct 14 to 21,

Is there a British Columbia fresh water sport fish I have not caught? Yes; thymallus thymallus, the grayling. Though this fish is found in a small section of southeast BC, bordering Montana, this member of the salmon family is most often found in the far northern sections of our province.

Since I do not have this species on my successfully captured list, I do not believe I have the authority to talk further about this fish. Therefore, I leave the praising, to Roderick Haig-Brown.

"The first grayling I caught were among the most difficult fish I have ever fished for. I was about sixteen at the time ? I was visiting my friend, John Kinloch whose father, Sir George, was a grayling enthusiast?

I was a fair dry-fly fisherman, though probably not as good as I thought ? The Isla ? had brown trout and occasional sea trout as well as grayling, but Sir George soon convinced me that these were easy and simple-minded fish beside the grayling? A difficult fish to rise ? a difficult fish to strike ? and a difficult fish to play ?

I managed it in the end ? I successfully rose, hooked and landed a few fish of fair size-but I came away from the Isla with a very healthy respect for the grayling and all his arts."

The Report

Our lower mainland lake fishing is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish waters are active. For Bass try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Pumpkinhead, Dragon Nymph, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, (adult) Dragonfly, Chernobyl Ant, Optic, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 10 to 16) versions of the above.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Soubou, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, Backswimmer, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is fishing well for springs, chum, pinks, and coho. For spring try: Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Black Stone, Flat black, Eggo, black GP, or dark Bunny Leach. For pink try: Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, Happy Hooker, or pink Bunny Leach. For chum try: Eggo, Christmas Tree, Met Green, Holliman, Dec 25th, or pink & purple Bunny Leach. For coho try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Coho Blue, Bite Me, Christmas Tree, green Wooly Bugger, Egg Sucking Leach, or Big Black.

The Vedder River is good for coho, spring, and rainbow. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Soubou, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, or Renegade.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat, pink, coho, and spring. We have heard rumors of springs. Try: Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Zulu, Hares Ear, Renegade, or Irresistible.