+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD's

Hybrid View

Default PFD's

Hi,
    I was out boating, well fishing in my NuCanoe, today and I got to thinking, "This PFD is very bulky". So, I'm searching for some thoughts on PFD's. I won't boat without one, after being dumped out of a canoe once. What do people use? Those horse collar ones? The ones that are the Michelin Man lookalikes? Thanks vor any input.
    Mike

Get one that uses co2 to inflate it. Some are automatic.

I have a manual inflatable PFD. I have never used it but have thought about finding the rip cord a couple of times when in unexpected positions in the river.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use a very comfortable CO2 inflated PFD. It's not the automatic type as I thought those may inflate when not needed at $20 per cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcculloch View Post
    I use a very comfortable CO2 inflated PFD. It's not the automatic type as I thought those may inflate when not needed at $20 per cartridge.
    I fished with a young man whose wife bought him an automatic PFD. He left it in his garage here in the suburbs of Atlanta and came out to find it inflated one day. So they may be good in AZ, GA not so much.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use a manual CO2 type while lake fishing in my pontoon, but if I took the boat to the river I'd opt for my "fishing" type II vest. As the SAR man said, "if you need a PFD in moving water you don't need to be looking for the pull tab." Cliff

Blog Entries

Mike,

I use inflatable PFD's and have for years, we even used them in the US Navy. The auto inflate type is great as long as you are not prone to getting yourself wet too often. In a pontoon boat you wouldn't have to worry. In a canoe, you would. I figure being in a canoe is like riding a dirt bike, it is not a matter of 'if' you go down but 'when' you go down. So if you use the auto inflate then for sure always have a replacement system ready to install just in case you trigger the vest. I personally use the manual one as I am very used to them having used them for the past 50 years. But, even with them I carry a spare C02 cartridge just in case.

Whatever you do just make sure you have your PFD with you at all times.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm a vessel examiner with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. An earlier responder correctly related that an inflatable pfd is valid only if it is being worn. There is a new type III inflatable that does not have to be worn to be legal, but most policing agencies aren't aware of it yet, so if you have one, I suggest you wear it regardless. The Coasties we work with on the Mississippi gulf coast all wear auto inflatables, and don't seem to have problems with improper inflating due to water exposure. I think the newer models handle water better than those from a few years back. Bottom line... wear a pfd, period.

On stillwater, I use a manual (rip-cord) inflatable. It's much less bulky than a conventional PFD and I'll actually wear it. There are a couple of different mechanisms for the automatic inflatable PFDs. One uses a capsule that dissolves the other uses hydrostatic pressure. The latter should not inflate from rain or excess humidity.

On moving water, I use a conventional type III PFD.

I have the normal pfd's in the tin boat but in the storage compartment 110% of the time (, but in my little gheenoe and yaks I use one of my kayak pfd's that is designed for paddling. They are somewhat bulky but very comfy and I tend to wear these more than a regular pfd. I've thought of getting the smaller/newer pfd's with the co2 cartridges but have not researched them enough at this time to make a decision. A winter time project for me. LOL

+ Reply to Thread