+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition of a Variant Fly

Blog Entries

Sans Wings:

AlanB Guest

Sometimes writers will attach a specific meaning to a word or phrase, we fly tiers do it all the time. These are only valid definitions within the context it is used in. Variation is just "differing from the norm", so a variant is just something that different to the standard dressing. Most of the flies we tie today, that have any history to them, could be described as variants. Different materials and proportions are usual today than were the norm 50 or more years ago. If you take the most famous trout fly here in the UK, the Greenwell's Glory, it is now illegal to tie the original dressing of the fly. (The wing was taken from a now protected hen blackbird). It could be said that all Greenwell's Glories tied today are variants. (Most anglers here wouldn't recognise the original Greenwell's either, the style is so different) The same goes for the Adams. How often is it tied with the wings in the spent position? Also wasn't the original tail GP tippet?

The real questions are: "How does a variant become the accepted norm?" and "How far does a variant have to differ from the standard dressing before it becomes a new pattern?" These I have no answer for.

Cheers
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Steven,

Allow me to add one other thing about the size of hackles/tail on the Variant (as in pattern style) and admit that this is something I hadn't realized for many years. Hooks used to get larger in increments of 1. The hackles/tail had been generally 2 sizes larger then the hook size usually calls for. Since almost all of today's hooks go up in increments of 2, that means 1 size. A 14 hook gets a tail/hackle of 12. This was pointed out to me by many renown Catskill tyers several of whom sat at the tables of Catskill legends.
    When I learned this I realized how many Variant flies I tied with hackle/tails 2 extra sizes larger then they should have been, LOL.
    Remembering of course, that wings, tails and hackle used by the legendary catskill fliers were all longer, relative to the hook size, than usually described in most modern books.

Byron, I think the skating affect is part of the style intentions. Also, variants in the NE have been traditionally a broken water pattern where wings are not necessarily paramount, but floatability is.

I think the ones that catch fish are remembered.

I wanted to mention a thought I've had about Variants. I've never seen it written, but my guess has been that the Variant hackle is oversized because, if it weren't, the wing (as represented by the hackle) would be unusually short relative to the size of the fly. The hackle, to my way of thinking, has to be as high as a traditional wing would be.

Given that the hackle is longer than normal, the tail has to be longer than normal for proper balance.

Byron,

That fly is really classy.

Here's what an an original Greenwell's Glory looked like if anyone is curious. What struck me on this was how real the wings look! The original Henryville Special used to use red silk for the body that, when wet, would change to a ruddy brown color. If you look at an original, the color is like Pearsall's cardinal silk. Ernest Schwiebert in his Trout books, claimed to be the one that changed the body color to olive. The wings didn't look much like mallard either, but more like green winged teal.

Regards,
    Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Byron,

That fly is really classy.
    Thank you Steven.

Blog Entries

Mark,
    Do you posess that fly? Have only seen photos of it. Great, timeless fly.

AlanB Guest

Mark, Thanks for sharing that fly. If anyone does an image search for a Greenwell's Glory it will demonstrate what I mean. You'll see gold ribs and tails included even dry flies!
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread