+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ferrule Help

Default Ferrule Help

Hello again all. I have a little question for all of you builders out there. The ferrule, I know should be wrapped minimum of double the diameter. I am planning on wrapping at least 3/4" an might end up being more like 1 inch when all is said an done.

BUT?!?! My question is how close to the ferrule beginning do you usually get? My Sgae rod is wrapped all the way to the absolute beginning of the second piece with NO rod showing from the ferrule opening! I am afraid that if I wrap it all the way to the opening, you must have to be EXTREMELY careful when applying the epoxy to seal it all in.

So, do you wrap it all the way to the beginning, and be VERY careful with the epoxy? OR do you leave just a LITTLE bit of room so that you can have a little bit of epoxy overrun?

Oh, if it helps, I am waiting on my H&H 9' #4 Weight 2 piece kit to come in on friday! WOOHOO!!!!

Sincerely,
    Reggie

Make a plug out of cork or a pc of dowell wrapped with masking tape. You may not need it but if you do you will be very happy it is there.
    spinter

You want to wrap a ferrule as close to the end as possible. Any exposed ferrule that is not reinforced with thread wraps is in danger of splitting.

Even a slight gap of a 1/16" inch is enough to start a split. At least it was on one of my rods.

It's not that hard to keep the epoxy out of the joint. If some threatens to get in the way just clean it out with a Q-tip soaked in white vinegar.

Reggie; Follow the example of your SAGE rod. That is the correct way to wrap a ferrule. The key to good epoxy finishes is to keep the rod as level as possible during the entire process until dry and you should not have problems with it seeping into the ferrule opening. Approx 3 hours of turning on a drying motor does the job to set the epoxy up, then let the rod set overnight.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Just a word of caution since it sounds like this is your first rod . If you wrap too tightly it will constrict the ferrule and cause a fit that is too tight ( won't allow the male to engage properly ). Just be sure to check the fit before you apply the epoxy .

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Thank you all for the help!

Now I just received my kit yesterday, and so far have marked the spline, and rechecked it about 30 times. Getting ready to build the reel seat. But I do have another question for all of you.

2 Bead Pupa, brought up an interesting point with thread tension. I know that you don't want to wrap it loose, and you don't want it too tight either. So the question is, how tight is enough? I am planning on using my fly tying bobbin, to hold the spool, then placing a hole in a cardboard box to fit the bobbin in and using that setup to wrap everything. Will the bobbin give enough thread tension???

Thanks again everyone,
    Reg

Reg;
    Somewhere in the archives is a "How to Article" on building a "Tensioner" out of a Victor mouse trap.
    I built one and it works well. You can adjust thread tension by putting spacers under the spool.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

+ Reply to Thread