+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Estes Dam, Colorado

Hybrid View

Default Estes Dam, Colorado

Four weeks ago I was driving through Colorado and went to Estes Park. As I entered the park I was right below the lake and the dam. There was a flyfisherman swinging some flies so I stopped and chatted with him a couple of hours. He shared loads of information for which I was grateful. I walked about 1/2 mile downstream and saw fish periodically. I am going back to Colorado in a couple of weeks. I will have a day or two off. Estes park is about 80 minutes from where I am staying. Here's my question: are there still fish below the dam? After the incredible flooding (I missed it by 5 days) I am thinking everything got washed down. Is there anyone who can share by experience whether or not the fish are still there?

I'm not set on just going to Estes Park. I'll be staying in Denver. If there is decent fishing water that is fairly close (within 1.5 hours) of Denver that is wade-able I'd be glad to fish it.

Any help would be welcome. Not looking for honey holes or secret spots.

Thank you,

Greg

Hey Greg, I used to live just outside Denver (Golden, CO), and I know quite a few spots to fish. Don't know about the situation in Estes Park, but if you are looking for a good place to fly fish, try the South Platte River from Deckers to the confluence of the North Fork of the South Platte. The road is good, and access is all along it, just find a good place to park, get to fishing. Also, the North Fork is good and is "flies only". Just "Google" Deckers, CO., and check out the map. Tight lines, MIke
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

Thank you very much Mike; this is very helpful.

Here is a great resource for fishing in Colorado. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/fishingatlas/
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

If you happen to swing through KS, give me a shout... might be able to put you on some warmwater fish!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Greg,

Talk to Kirk and Laurie Bien @ Kirk's Flyshop and Mountain Adventures in Estes. They have been catching lots of fish with clients since the flooding so I'm betting they'll have some excellent suggestions on where to fish.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thank you Brian; I'll call them tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread