+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grampus Kiraku & Co Tokyo Japan Fly Rod

Blog Entries

Default Grampus Kiraku & Co Tokyo Japan Fly Rod

Is a Vintage Bamboo Flyfishing Rod worth anything? , GRAMPUS, KIRAKU & CO, TOKYO, JAPAN the main section is 33" L , second section is the same length 33", The 3rd section 32 3/4" + Plus there is an extra third section or top section, it has a wood box in very sad shape .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee,

These can be found in great abundance on ebay...No they do not sell for a whole lot,And are good beat around fishing rods...who knows maybe some day they will be worth some decent money....I am Guilty of buying one of them..a couple years back,But it was still in the orignal plastic wrapper....the whole box....and was deffinitely Never fished..till i got it that is,Thats what my whole intent was...they do good..and who cares if it gets beatup!!!...The handles are usually reversable and that second heavier tip section turns the rod into a casting/Spinning rod...Never used that aspect though...Kewl little rods none the less...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 21 August 2005).]

Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill;
    A friend asked me to research a rod very much like Gnu Bee Flyer discribed. You've just given me more information on it than I could find anywhere!! It has 3 tips, 2 fly rod and 1 spinning. It needs some repair work but now that I'm building rods I think I could do it. I a 100 bucks a fair price?

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Blog Entries

Jack ... check this link to ebay where I saw the rod . so far its yours for a $1.05 bid.
    [url=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7177259441&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1:cda5c]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7177259441&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1[/url:cda5c]

Jack,
    For refinnishing bamboo, Use Helmsman Spar Varnnish at a mix of 1 Tablespoon of Spar to 2 Tablespoons of Mineral Spirits.or the stuff will just never dry,A silk thread is preffered by most/some..But a regular Nylon will do the job and will blend nicely without the color presever...that I've never used on a rod anyway...I like the way the thread goes transparent without it..some don't I guess.Another thing is the stripping of the old varnish,I use the single edged Razor blade method.
    Prefferably not a new/Razor sharp one i run it across some hard plastic a few strokes to take the edge off a bit , Then hold it at a 90 degree to the flat and keep as smooth as possible a stroke (always working toward the narrowing/Thin end of the blank section) as this will keep the blade from digging in and gaugeing the Boo....Be carefull to only remove the old finnish...Not the boo...you can, after all flats are free of old finnish, Pull the section through steel wool...( Never pull a section through from the thin end) or again...it'll catch rather than slide....causing damage you don't want...

Ok those are the important tips for one who's not done or worked with Boo before..

100 dollars does'nt sound bad for all the steps I just ran you through...and there are MORE...lol but I feel you know those well enough...Hope this gives you some ideas as to weather you want to try and take on this project....
    As always,You've got my email.....

Oh and Jack, Also the price you qoute should have the actual worth of said rod in mind....say it's an old Japan as the ebay rod above....That I for 1 , would'nt give $2.00 for.....Thats one is more than a fixxer upper...lol...with that box that bad...It's seen more than it's share of moisture...maybe even a flood.

Kinda hard to charge more than a rods actually worth....(For me)....Bamboo is a funny thing...and price qoutes can be a bit tickleish.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 23 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 23 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

Just a footnote re the link on ebay , the rod sold for $25.25

+ Reply to Thread