+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best deer parts

Hybrid View

Default Best deer parts

Hi all,
    A friend of mine got his first deer, this year, with his bow. We discussed the remains and he offered me the hide of the next one he or his son gets. I did a bucktail a few years ago, came out fine, but a whole hide? What are the best parts to ask for? I don't know if I want to tackle the whole thing!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Ask for patches (6" by 12" depending on how many flies you will ever tie) of hair from various parts of the body, top of back, flank, belly and the entire tail to use in a variety of different flies.

Good luck!
    John

I'd examine the hide. If the deer has been dragged or the tips broken, you will not want that area of fur. So look at the hide and choose which patches you want.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Hi all,
    A friend of mine got his first deer, this year, with his bow. We discussed the remains and he offered me the hide of the next one he or his son gets. I did a bucktail a few years ago, came out fine, but a whole hide? What are the best parts to ask for? I don't know if I want to tackle the whole thing!!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Just get the tenderloins!

Do the whole hide. It is easier than messing with bits and pieces.

1. Wash the raw hide in a plastic garbage can in warm water with 1/4 cup Dawn dish washing detergent and a big double handful of borax. Let is soak for 20 minutes of so then agitate well.

2. Rinse well in cool water.

3. Scrape all of the fat and flesh from the hide while the hide is still wet. The toughest part will be the back of the neck and front shoulders. I use a hand ax and just push it off. The ax doesn't even have to have a handle in it.

4. Wash the hide again with the Dawn and borax.

5. Rinse well with cool water.

6. sling out as much water as possible.

7. Spread over some bushes or a fence to partially dry.

8. Stretch out on a sheet of 3/4 plywood flesh side down with 3 or 4 round dowles under it to keep the flesh off of the plywood and allow air to circulate. Allow to dry 1 day like this.

9. day tow remove from plywood and turn hair side down and re stretch. Dry for 2 days. After 2 days like this loosen one side and check the hair for dryness. If still damp turn the hide again and allow the hair to dry an additional 2 days.

10. Turn the hide hair side down and re stretch. Leave it until the flesh side has thoroughly drided. 2 - 3 weeks.

11. Cut into the pieces upi like and store with paradychlorobenzine moth balls or crystals.

Enjoy your fly tying with this wonderful material.

Just ask for backstraps!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

How can you cure just the tail? I was given one yesterday that has been de-boned and need to know what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    How can you cure just the tail? I was given one yesterday that has been de-boned and need to know what to do next.
    Just rub Borax into the tail. Put it in a dry place to cure.

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    I tack mine down onto a board, hair side down, to keep them flat while they dry out.

+ Reply to Thread