+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-Fishing, But Important Shooting Question

Hybrid View

Default Non-Fishing, But Important Shooting Question

I'm ***uming that many fly fishers are also involved in shooting sports. I apologize, but I need to know today

I have a Mark III pistol. I was going to buy one of those metal or iron targets with rotating paddles that resets itself after shooting all paddles.

My question; is it safe to shoot with a pistol? I'll probably only be 8 to 10 yards away and I'm wondering about ricocheting bullets. Should that be a concern?

Again, I apologize this not being a fishing question.

Bruce

They should have specifications for safe calibers, distance and ammunition on the package. Some are only rated for .22 rimfire, others for centerfire pistols and others for rifles. I think most say not to use full-metal-jacket ammo.

I have never had a problem with them and ricocheting bullets. Just make sure you have a safe backstop like a large dirt bank.

I have seen them used, never by me. Just not the right timing. They seem to be pretty good, and function well. They are caliber
    specific.
    My nephew has some at the ranch North of here and he uses them a lot, they seem fairly tough. He is with the local sheriff dept. so does shoot a lot.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Blog Entries

Bruce, We used to use a fall down target for pistol shooting, effective but sometimes when a large cal pistol was used, like a .41 or .44 Mag, there would be flying lead that sometimes would hit the shooter. For rotating targets, I would suspect less of a problem. Needless to say, always wear safety goggles, protect those very important eyes. Larry ---sagefisher---

Just for your information....If you plan to shoot 22 rimfire, you might want to check your local stores for ammo before hand. I love to shoot 22 rimfire and use to shoot 200 to 300 rounds per week at the local range, but, have not done any shooting this year because there is no 22 rimfire ammo to be found. All stores like Wally World, etc., have had empty shelves around here since January and no one knows when we will ever be able to purchase any!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Just for your information....If you plan to shoot 22 rimfire, you might want to check your local stores for ammo before hand. I love to shoot 22 rimfire and use to shoot 200 to 300 rounds per week at the local range, but, have not done any shooting this year because there is no 22 rimfire ammo to be found. All stores like Wally World, etc., have had empty shelves around here since January and no one knows when we will ever be able to purchase any!
    A few years ago I started stockpiling 22 bulk packs of Federal and Remington when they were still around $10 / 550 rounds. Still have about 10K rounds so my 22 shooting hasn't slowed down too much. From what I've seen, we will SLOWLY start to see it becoming available again soon but plan for the regular price to be $25-$30 for a box of 550. Nobody seems to know where all the billions of rounds of 22 ammo the ammo companies are supposedly producing, are going. Like Warren's area, here 22 ammo has been next to completely gone in the retail shops since January. I have seen 550rd bulk packs of Federal being sold for $100. I was tempted to sell some of mine but decided I wouldn't stoop to the level of the subhumans who brought this upon us. Looks like it might be on the way to recovering. Maybe.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I am putting all my retirement savings into grizzly saddles and .22 bricks. At a local store, on the day they get a shipment, there is a line waiting. Limit 2 bricks/customer and they are all gone in an hour.

I didn't ever expect it would be easier to find .35 Remington for my lever gun than .22 for my plinker.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread