+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Fishing, But Important Shooting Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    Lastchance,

It is my experience to get ricocheting from iron targets. Injuries have been nicks to shins, hands, knuckles and face. Our range is set up at 25 and 30 feet and we use 9mm and 40 cal. We had used larger rounds but stopped because the targets would get bent and had to be replaced faster.

Keep in mind these are iron targets not traps, sooner or later you will get a ricochet.

Stay safe wear safety glasses.
    I'm assuming none of these injuries could result in a fatality?

If you're shooting at a centerfire pop-up, or rotating target with a .22, yes, you may experience ricochets. They are meant to be moved by much higher energies. But if you are using a .22 movable target you should have no concerns at all. They are designed to give-way with the expected .22 caliber energies, so your bullet path is not affected dramatically.

Blog Entries

Steel targets tend to have minimum distances for safe use in the fine print. AR500 steel is preferred over softer steel if you wish them to last very long. And you do need to get the .22 targets rather than the ones designed for larger calibers. I'd get one from Midway or Brownells or one of the target mfgrs. If you are having trouble locating .22 (or any other ammo) you may wish to keep an eye on slickguns.com.

DG,

Thanks for the link to slickguns.com. I checked their site and all their 22LR Ammo is marked Out Of Stock. I bookmarked them to my "Favorites" and will keep checking them.

Thanks, again....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

You can tag items there so that you get an email notification when they are posted again. In the past year, many of the deals posted have sold out in minutes, so you either have to tag them or keep checking the site multiple times a day. But I have used that site to purchase thousands of rounds of ammo at great prices in that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I'm assuming none of these injuries could result in a fatality?
    No. The ricochet are very small fragments that result in knicks. The most serious injury could be to eyes so wear your safety glasses.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

+ Reply to Thread