+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line keepers for spare spools

Hybrid View

Default Line keepers for spare spools

I have some nifty little cloth strips with velcro closers that wrap around my spare spools to keep the line from coming off the spool when not in use. I got them at Cabela's but it doesn't appear that they offer them any more. Anyone have a source for them? I suppose I could make my own but I'd rather just buy them if they're available.

Failing that, what do you use for this purpose? Thanks...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I picked up some of the Grey's neoprene spool tenders off ebay... Cabela's has em too...

I use the Velcro "tape" that they use to tie together bunches of broccoli at the suppermarket
    You can buy the same stuff at farm storm as it's also used to tie up tomato plants
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

The Fly Shop sells these. Kinda expensive though.

reel line keeper.jpg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I'm using some hair bands, the small elastic ones, that my wife was getting rid of. Can't get much cheaper!
    Mike

I have not tried this, but, I have had the loose end of the fly line (while stored on the spool) "work" its way under a wrap or two and then cause problems when you use the spool. If your fly lines have a loop on the end, you could pick up some of the wide rubber bands and loop-to-loop them onto the end of the fly line and then stretch the rubber band around the spool. This would keep the end of the fly line from "working" under a wrap or two of the fly line plus keep the rest of the fly line from coming off while stored.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread