+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown - has it affected your fishing?

Haven't been out since the shutdown started but I remember the last one in 1995-96. I was fishing a stream up in MD, when a ranger approached me, asked to see my license and then informed me the water was under jurisdiction of the National Park Service and therefor closed (never thought to ask why he was working when I, working for DoD, was furloughed). He then pointed to a bridge and said the water up above was on state land and still open, so I thanked him, hopped out and walked about 100 yards upstream and started fishing again.

Regards,
    Scott

From the Brazil Times: Obama Administration Closes Parts of Ocean in Government Shutdown -- "The Obama administration has closed off parts of the ocean around Florida to public access as part of the government shutdown. The National Park Service says Florida Bay will remain closed and charter boats are prohibited from taking fisherman into 1,100 square miles of open ocean waters. Biscayne National Park is also off limits and park rangers will be on site to ensure boaters don't enter the water."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    From the Brazil Times: Obama Administration Closes Parts of Ocean in Government Shutdown -- "The Obama administration has closed off parts of the ocean around Florida to public access as part of the government shutdown. The National Park Service says Florida Bay will remain closed and charter boats are prohibited from taking fisherman into 1,100 square miles of open ocean waters. Biscayne National Park is also off limits and park rangers will be on site to ensure boaters don't enter the water."
    At least they are letting us still breathe the air.
    This makes me feel so much better about government controlled healthcare..........
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Yeah, I've been cowering in a corner........not!!!!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Well me and the family just got back from our mountain trip and I can say the park we went to gates were closed and locked and the bathrooms were also locked,kind of a inconvenience for the wife and 5year old.Guess the park crew will be cleaning up a lot of sh!t wipe out of the woods!

I just got back from a four day trip. The National Forest campgrounds with gates were closed. But most of them close for the winter, in October, anyway. The ones without gates had people camping and the restrooms were unlocked. The BLM campgrounds also had campers and open restrooms. The shutdown may have had a positive affect on my fishing. The tailwater I fished has had steady flows ever since the shutdown. No one there to jack the levels around I guess.

Blog Entries

Tailwaters in CO have been changed during the shutdown, but the water isn't usually owned by the Feds even if the dams are, so it did not surprise me.

I would have had to wait until this weekend to catch this fish instead of last weekend without being furloughed:

It gave me another moment of clarity. I remembered exactly why I did not vote for him to begin with.

Mr. Boehner's shutdown has wreaked havoc with a lot of things. Can we drop the politics before this gets ugly? I thought we were more mature than the children running Washington.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 10-13-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Your first sentence causes me to question your maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Mr. Boehner's shutdown has wreaked havoc with a lot of things. Can we drop the politics before this gets ugly? I thought we were more mature than the children running Washington.

+ Reply to Thread