+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S. L. T.

Blog Entries

Thanks John. I wonder if you recall the name of Lempke's fly? Or a link to it?
    I like your fly and am anxious to see the SBS!
    Thanks again,
    Byron

From Googling a bit, it sounds like Lempke was also an extended body fan. Got me wondering when John Scott is going to combine his FEB idea with a loop wing. Maybe a FEB with the tag end of the FEB forming a loop wing and a 90 degree hackle? That would be 2 materials (plus thread)

Blog Entries

Yes, Bing and Ron Cordes even invented a device for holding the extended body while tying. He was particularly known for really tiny extended body mayflies. He made wood matchsticks which hel about 5 such flies on one match stick.

Byron,

In a previous thread you credited these fine fly tyers with that same 'invention'. I responded to your statement with the following:
    "That FOTW entered into the conversation because I was pointing out that fly tyers are inventive people and that other fly tyers had developed a tool for use in tying extended bodies. I previously referenced similar tools illustrated and photographed in early fly tying books. At any rate, the tool connected my posts to the topic of the Lempke flies." I even posted photos from Fly Tyer magazine about their flies and tool.
    I know many tyers who've 'invented' various tools because of necessity and later learned that others have 'invented' similar tools or techniques. It happens frequently. Just ask one of this sites' moderators about his extension tool.
    Anyway,
    Magazine cover:

Top of cover

The Cordes/Lempke 'Tool'

Tool & Recipies

Here are a few I tied. Split wing.
    SLT 2.jpgSLT 1.jpgSLT 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... sedge flies - as in simple, effective, durable, good enough.
    I really like the sedge fly idea. As fly tiers, I think we sometimes are seduced into the quest for a more precise imitation. However more often than not, a simple fly is "good enough" to get the job done if we provide a good presentation.

John, I thought PMD's were a summer hatch - what are they doing on your stream in October? I sure like your sedge flies. Tried one in a 22 on the San Juan and it took fish. If only my presentation was better, I'm sure I'd catch more.
    Last edited by herefishy; 10-26-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Glad I got to see that country once, John, the pictures just take my breath away. You deserve to be getting some "simple" fishing after the summer that was there.

Great fish! He's not real fat, is he? Is that the nature of the bulls?

+ Reply to Thread