+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raven Fork trophy catch and release water Cherokee NC, recomended flys please

Hybrid View

Default Raven Fork trophy catch and release water Cherokee NC, recomended flys please

I am fishing in the Rumble in the Rhododendron tournament in Cherokee NC in November.
    If anyone has any recomendations for flys to use I would appreciate it.
    It is my first time fishing in the tournament and i understand there will be a lot of stiff competion.
    I have fished Cherokee several times but not the Raven Fork trophy catch and release water.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Fishwater
    In times like these it helps to recall there have always been times like these... Paul Harvey

Fishwater,

There are some deep, fast moving pools on the Raven's Fork; getting your fly down will take some imagination on your part. I seemed to do fairly well with a heavy nymph followed by a small soft hackle ... usually a size 18 or 20. There are some stretches where you won't have any trouble getting your fly near the bottom; again, the nymph and soft hackle tandem worked well. I've never fished a dry on the Raven's Fork. I know a few guys who have and they caught fish as well.

Good luck!

gqualls,

Thanks for the advice, I will make a note. I believe it's going to be a lot of fun

Thanks again

Fishwater
    In times like these it helps to recall there have always been times like these... Paul Harvey

Have some Rainbow Warriors in #16-20, Surveyors same size, Girdle bug in brown/yellow with yellow legs. I have had good luck lately with leech patterns in the #6-10 range.
    A lot of your success will be determined by your beat. I judged this comp a couple years back and a couple of the beats were very productive while others were almost barren of fish.
    Some beats need to fished fine and far, while others need to be up-close and personal.
    Good luck and I might see you there!

+ Reply to Thread