+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fishing barbless

I de-barb on the water....and only where required. With trout-sized patterns, I have never really found removing the hook to be a struggle. Especially with forceps.

I do not buy in to the damage issue. I feel a barbless hook moves around while playing a fish much more than a barbed hook. Causing just as much damage in many cases. A small barbed hook stays put. Just my thoughts.

I do however feel with larger hooks the damage can be an issue. Mainly do to the size of the barb itself.

DNR officers will also use a cotton ball to check for barbless hooks, if any cotton is hooked they consider that NOT barbless.

For those who use a vise to squash the barb flat, have you notice any damage to the vise jaws by doing this???

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    There is only one barbless stream I know of in this area. It is a closely managed stream, C&R only and produces some very nice fish. I am told the DNR officers use a tee shirt to check hooks to qualify them as barbless if they were originally with barbs. What criteria do other areas use.
    Last edited by popperfly; 10-01-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added question
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    With the exception of TMC they don't cost more. Last lot I bought cost me about $10/ thousand.
    Cheers,
    C.
    Did I read that right? $10 for 1000 hooks? Pray tell, where do you get your hooks, and what kind are they?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    DNR officers will also use a cotton ball to check for barbless hooks, if any cotton is hooked they consider that NOT barbless.

For those who use a vise to squash the barb flat, have you notice any damage to the vise jaws by doing this???

No. Not with my Regals. Never had a problem.

Ralph

Originally Posted by AlanB
    With the exception of TMC they don't cost more. Last lot I bought cost me about $10/ thousand.
    Cheers,
    C.

Did I read that right? $10 for 1000 hooks? Pray tell, where do you get your hooks, and what kind are they?

I would also like to know where you get barbless hooks for $10 per thousand. I've been getting mine for a little over $10 per hundred.

AlanB Guest

They were a job lot of Hyabusa hooks I picked up. Wish I could get a regular supply. Size 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24 down eye light wire and 18 & 20 straight eye also light wire. Usually when I spot a deal like this I don't have cash on hand to take advantage. This time I did, and, as I have a shop to tie for, on barbless, in that size range, I'm very happy I did. They were 57 UKP for the lot including P&P that works out at about $10 a thousand. The best regular supply I have found is from Finney's Flies at 6 UKP (about $9) per 100.
    Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 10-02-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: The pound sign doesn't work!!! Comes up as "?"

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    They were a job lot of Hyabusa hooks I picked up. Wish I could get a regular supply. Size 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24 down eye light wire and 18 & 20 straight eye also light wire. Usually when I spot a deal like this I don't have cash on hand to take advantage. This time I did, and, as I have a shop to tie for, on barbless, in that size range, I'm very happy I did. They were 57 UKP for the lot including P&P that works out at about $10 a thousand. The best regular supply I have found is from Finney's Flies at 6 UKP (about $9) per 100.
    Cheers,
    A.

Thanks. $9 per 100 isn't too bad a deal either.
    Tim

Try Hagensfish.com They have what I think are Dai-Riki (same numbers) for about $60/1000. near the end of the catalogue.

Rick

THIS THREAD SEEMS TO WANDER INTO HOOK COST. To add my $.02 worth I'd suggest Eagle Claw from Cabela's. Thank you guys for the good comments on barbs.

+ Reply to Thread