When I used to debarb my hooks, I always used the vise. It only takes seconds, and you are only handling the bare hook once. Fewer drops, especially with the smaller hooks, for me. Where I fish, using barbless hooks is not required by law.

The reason I 'debarbed' was more for the 'easier out of me' than any concern for the fish. After a while I noticed some issues with the number of fish I hooked versus landed. The numbers were significant enough that I stopped the practice and found myself landing more fish. In any event, I no longer debarb my hooks. Since then I've gotten a few hooks into clothing that I've had to mess with a bit to get them out. I'll deal with this to catch more fish. The hooks I've gotten into my flesh came out without issue. Maybe I've gotten better at fly control, or maybe I've just been luckier over the last decade.

I do find Alan's point interesting. One thing I've done over the last several years is up the size of my tippet, from 4# flouro to 8# (I'm mostly streamer fishing with sinking lines in a very clear reservoir for smallmouth and trout). I was concerned that the thicker line would lessen my strikes, but so far it hasn't been an issue. I'm catching more fish, larger fish, and landing them faster. Only had two trout that died when I was unable to resuscitate them this season (that I knew about, delayed mortality numbers I can't address). That's way down from past seasons.

Buddy