Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
[snip]I suggest that the other folks consider using their vises to do the job. If you have a vise with smooth jaws it is a very simple, convenient and obvious task.[snip]
Always wondered about people who do this. How exactly is using the vise "simple" or "convenient", unless of course your desk is so cluttered you can't find your pliers? Seriously, time yourself and see how fast you can debarb hooks in your vise (and be sure to try some smaller sizes) versus using pliers.

Of course speed is not the all important goal to a casual tier, but I personally see no reason to waste time that could be spent cranking out another pattern by using a suboptimal tool like the vise when a readily available, cheap, and efficient alternative is available. I usually tie flies a dozen at the time, so I take out a dozen hooks, debarb with pliers, and start tying. When I tie with friends who debarb with the vise, they are usually still fiddling with adjustments (or looking for a dropped hook) by the time I've finished. Of course, YMMV.