+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waiteti

Default Waiteti

Just back from a couple days down in Ngongataha, next to Rotorua. Fished the Waiteti stream mouth. When we arrived, I went down to the mouth with my 10 foot 5 weight rod, and tied on a size 10 Cosseboom. Although generally an Atlantic Salmon fly, back in NS we use it in smaller sizes for trout (it's also very popular in Newfoundland for large brookies, or at least was about 35 years ago!). Anyway, when I was walking down there was some rain coming down and I passed a fellow sitting in his car. He eventually came down and joined me when I started casting. He had been fishing since around 7 am or so (it was now around 11) and he hadn't had a touch. After about a dozen casts I had a good tug, and fish on. Nice 1.7 kg rainbow hen (about 3 lbs 12 oz) was on and after a few acrobatic jumps and some good runs, it was finally in the net and on it's way home for supper (and a few more lunches and suppers as well). I decided to call it enough at that time, as I figured if I stuck around I would blow that "Oh, I can do that pretty much at will" air that was floating around (I'll tell you now, I didn't so much as see a fish in the grocery store after that). When I showed the fellow the fly I was using, he just looked at me and said "I've never seen anything like that before!" (Squirrel tail streamers aren't popular here for some reason, and Cossebooms are unheard of - I'm probably the only person in the country who fishes one at all, let alone with any regularity). Anyway, Genesta (my 6 year old daughter) had a lot of fun tossing a spinner, and we all went up to see the fish hatchery (this supplies much of the trout for the country I believe - NZ has great feeding grounds for trout, but not a lot of good spawning grounds, so while there are some wild fish, a lot of fingerlings are released to augment the population in most fisheries). Anyway, I did see one other fellow walking back to his car after fishing the Ngongataha stream with two nice fish (about a kg each), but those were the only fish seen all weekend barring the hatchery - which had some very neat blue trout - albino rainbows, browns, tiger trout, and brookies - I couldn't find anyone working there to ask where the brookies get released. I know there's a lake near Taupo that has brookies, and there are some in the south Island, and I have an old book from the 1800s that suggests a river near Rotorua had some, but I've never heard of anyone catching any. I must scout it out one day. Apparently there was a tiger trout tournament this weekend in one of the smaller lakes, but I only heard a suggestion about that.

Anyway, it was a good time for all. Nice to be home though.

- Jeff

Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Wonder story Jeff. Thank you for sharing.

Genesta is now 6 years old -wow! It seems like only yesterday when she was born. My Kimmy turned 8 on Friday. They grow up so fast don't they.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Nice Fish Jeff, well done! I got an invite from a mate to fish the Ohau channel opening day tournament but I have just had 6 weeks of work so no chance of that!
    I believe the Tiger trout are in the Blue lake but not sure where to find Brookies!
    All the best.
    Mike

Thanks. Yes, they grow up so fast (Kimmy is 8?! Eeep!). Genesta and Gregor are both shooting up pretty quickly. We're very lucky as they're both healthy and happy kids. A real joy.

- Jeff

Hi Mike,

Yes, I suppose asking for a few extra days upon your return wouldn't go down so well! I think this was only my 4th time out fishing on my season's licence (but three of those outings were weekend trips though). I'm hoping to get out a few times once summer hits, but we'll see how things go.

I think you're right about Blue lake. I'm pretty sure that's where they stock the Tigers (at the stream that flows into it I believe). Brookies are mystical here, you hear of them, and a friend of a friend knows a guy who once thinks he hooked one, but you never seen any photos (other than really grainy out of focus ones of course).

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread