+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Building Craze?

Default Rod Building Craze?

Seems like more and more are getting into the rod building game. And, more and more are building more than one.
    Could this be because of the great help on this BB? Of course H&H's great priced must help some. These are the main reasons I got started.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Been building for over 10 years now.....and I think it's just a natural progression, For the fisherman who ties his own flies to take things to the next level...and build all aspects of his equipment....

as for those who see visions of turning this hobby into more than that...I wish you good luck....but most will find that just does'nt come about...Or end up fending that off later on...I now try and keep the rods I build...to the rods I want...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jack, this BB was certainly one factor in my deciding to build my first rod, esp. all the good help available, and also because I just wanted to see if I could. (Like when I started tying flies). Also, what a great way to focus on something during the cold winter months when all we can think about is getting back out on the water. With the great prices available thru H&H and other suppliers, it makes for a pretty affordable pastime. Anyhow, my first build came out so well, I recently built another one for my son for a more personalized Christmas present and it turned out even better than the first one.
    Crackleback (Bob A)

Seems to me that if you buy a manufactured pre-ferruled blank, a ready made reelseat, perhaps a preformed grip, then it is really rod assembly, not rodbuilding. Of course this insanity could go even further, what if you did not twist you own guides, spin and dye the silk or nylon (oh no!, should I have raised the silkworms?) to wrap the rod with are you really building the rod? A bit TIC
    splinter

Splinter,
    I take it to mean then that you grow your own bamboo?
    from the Oxford dictionary
    BUILD
    verb
    build |bild| |b?ld| |b?ld|
    verb ( past and past part. built |bilt| |b?lt| |b?lt|) [ trans. ] (often be built)
    construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time : the factory was built in 1936.
    1 they were building a tree house construct, erect, put up, assemble; make, form, create, fashion, model, shape.
    ------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places

[This message has been edited by Betty Hiner (edited 28 August 2005).]
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Jack,
    It was because of my interest in rod building that I found FAOL in the first place.
    I believe it was a link from mudhole to Al Campbell's tips.
    Was it the cart leading the horse? The chicken before the egg?

------------------
    "Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling" ...Ernest Hemingway
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread