+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever...

I have fished 7x when needed in areas that required tiny flies on highly pressured fish. i don't think fish care about the tippet just the flawless drift of the fly.
    I just got back from Colorado with tricos in the morning and micro caddis in the evenings and managed to get by with 6x

Yes, I use 7x on occasion. But only on crystal clear, glass smooth water with tiny flies and fussy trout. Of the streams I fish regularly, there are only a couple where I even bother to carry anything smaller than 5x. I usually have down to 7x in my stillwater stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I've used 7x, and even 8x, but I can't say that I think it makes much difference, other than more fish lost to broken tippet.

I'm somewhat of a believer in theory that if you're getting too much drag, your leader is too short, not too fat. I fish mostly tailwaters and spring creeks ("technical" waters) but even so, I'll fish the largest leader that will fit through the eye of the hook.

I also believe that fish see even the finest leader, flourocarbon or not, just as they see the hook. They just choose to ignore it.
    I agree 100% on this.
    Rocketfish

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I can't even see an 8x tippet.

no, because it is ridiculous to believe that a trout can't see it...I mean, you can see it, right? and a trout has much better eyesight underwater than you do...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

have used 7x on many trout streams but you want to use a soft rod
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    no, because it is ridiculous to believe that a trout can't see it...I mean, you can see it, right? and a trout has much better eyesight underwater than you do...
    Not that I'm advocating 7x, but to be fair to those who do, their argument isn't that the fish can't see it, it's that it allows a more drag-free presentation, and that for nymphs, that it sinks better.

The former can just as easily be accomplished by a longer leader and/or a slack-line cast. A heavier fly and/or a tuck cast takes care of latter. Or you can use a finer leader and lose more flies and fish.
    Bob

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I figure there must be a use for them, or they wouldn't make them. I always thought they were for little midges, and sz. 22 flies.

Never used 8x, but when fishing on the San Juan River below Navaho Dam, if you aren't using at least 6x, you aren't catching fish.
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

+ Reply to Thread