+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new zealand strike indicator

Hybrid View

Default new zealand strike indicator

Has anybody tried this? I pushed a loop of tippet through a small tube and pulled a bit of yarn back partially through the tube and I believe this is the principal the NZSI works on - does this sound like what it is?

Sounds like it corresponds to the video here: http://www.strikeindicator.com/

Clever twist of a very old theme.

No. Never tried that. I use a simple 'slip knot' where I want along the tippet or leader and insert a piece of about 1-1/2 inches of Aunt Lydia's sparkle yarn in the loop. Slide it tight. Works great. Very little air and even less water resistance. Easy to see in several colors like orange, bright yellow, red, gold and white. And it costs virtually $0.00

Allan

Sounds good to me, some of the guides down here use a system like that, some use a slip knot and some use a dry fly as an indicator.
    If you can source some very very small rubber o rings you can use them instead of the tube and if the preasure realy comes on the o ring will stretch enough to release the yarn without kinking your leader quite so much.
    All the best.
    Mike

Thanks for the responses, think I'll order the strike indicator dot com package so I have the right tubes to start with - I tried my indicators today and couldn't get enough material in the small tube to float well. Have tried the o-rings before and just trying everything out there.

I have some of the ones Orvis sold; I don't know if they're still available from them. I seldom use them as I found them to be rather heavy and a determent to casting; these might work better.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I have the kit and we have some in stock in our shop. They have not sold well though I think it is a pretty good system that works well for many indicator nymphing situations.

However the system as marketed does not work well when you try to apply the indicator up into the upper one third to one half of many tapered leaders because the tube is too narrow. Now I don't typically use factory tapered leaders for nymph fishing because I want a thinner butt section that will sink faster so I don't find that limitation to be an issue for me.

I don't consider the system indispensible but it is a nice easy to use compliment to the other indicator systems I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    No. Never tried that. I use a simple 'slip knot' where I want along the tippet or leader and insert a piece of about 1-1/2 inches of Aunt Lydia's sparkle yarn in the loop. Slide it tight. Works great. Very little air and even less water resistance. Easy to see in several colors like orange, bright yellow, red, gold and white. And it costs virtually $0.00

Allan
    Yup, Allan, that's what I've done for years. Easily attached, easily removed.

Chuck

But it leaves a kink in the leader - any cure for this?

For myself I would try to find small sugical tubing at the hardware or specialized medical store (or aquarium shop) and get a crochet needle from the craft store or wool shop - probably much less money.

+ Reply to Thread