+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building

Default Rod Building

I have recently expressed an interest in building my own rods, as it may be an excellent way to pass time during the winter, make a little money and build an army of five weight rods of different specificaitons. I have read Al Campbell's article on graphite rod building but find myself wondering more and more about my personal capabilites at rod building. I do not have alot of money at my disposal, however i am willing to learn properly how to make rods. I have some questions that i hope can be answered by FAOL.

1. What is a cheap rod blank that will serve as a good learning tool but will hold up as my first ever built rod??
    2. What machinary is required and at what ballpark are we looking at
    3. Same for tools and pieces (seet, cork, blank, guide loops, glue, thread etc)
    4. To buy everything i would need to make a good rod what is a good ballpark???

Many thanks

RL

I would recommend you get a complete kit. That way you won't have to figure what to buy and what size components, etc.

Hook & hackle has complete kits starting at about $60. This will include everything you need but the tools. You'll also have glue and thread left over for future builds.

You can improvise on the wrapper and tensioner but you can buy one from Hook & Hackle for about $30.00 and have a good tool that works well and hassle free. You will have it for future projects and the time you save rigging a substitute will be well worth it.

------------------
    Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 18 August 2005).]

RL;
    Joe's got it right. My first rod was an IM6 9' 3 wgt. kit from H&H for about $70.00 (Includes shipping).
    Now I'm building a 6'6" 2 wgt from H&H that was about 40 bucks!
    I use a mouse trap for a tensioner. 2 for 2 bucks. I'll send you a photo.
    A small can of Acetone and Denatured Alcohol some tooth picks and 1/4" masking tape.
    I mix my glues in butter tub lids.
    I'll see if flytier still has the rod building video. It's been traveling a lot!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

If your going to build your own rods don't waste your money on all the gizmo's and gadgets advertised to builders. If your building a H&H kit all you will need is a heavy book as a tread tensioner and a cheap goose neck mag light. 90% of all rods can be made without special tools, and any tool you may need in the future can most likely be made from stuff you already have around the house... Goodluck...FB.

The amount of tools needed sorta depends on the amount of tools you have at home. You do need some tools to ream the handle at least on fly rods which is all I build. A dryer is not needed if you have the time/patience to attend to it yourself. Make money????? save that dream for later...... Allyn

To fit the cork grip I use a piece of an old rod, cut sandpaper into narrow strips spray some adhesive on the back and wind it around the rod. Spiral it on with gaps to collect the cork dust. I start with 80 grit then finish the fit with 180 grit.
    If you have a lot of cork to remove use a cordless drill to speed the job up.

------------------

Blog Entries

The first rod I built is a Forecast 9' 4wt from Hook & Hackle for about $75. It turned out great and it fishes great, I like it better than my Legend Ultra for most stream fishing. I am a perfectionist so I took my time and even had to redo one section but it's a good rod. Be careful on the cork grip, you have one chance. I used a rattail file as a reamer to get the grip started, then wrapped narrow griptape on an old section of rod for the final reaming. I had to dremel out the inletting for the reelseat as the hole in the grip was too narrow and cork will crack if forced to stretch. I just used scissors for a caliper to get all the guide wraps the same width.

I made my own wrapper/drier from scrap pine and used a bobbin from my fly tying to hold the thread. I bought an electric motor from radio shack for $1 , used rubberbands for drive belts and pulleys I made of pine with a holesaw to reduce the speed to 18 RPM, with skateboard wheel bearings and machine bolts for spindles.

So altogether I spent about $5 for tools. I also made a heated drying box from scrap plywood and a couple light bulbs to keep the dust and bugs from settling on the rod while it dries. The wrapper/drier fits in it.

Oh yea, I like to make my own stuff.

Greg

Thanks alot everyone!!! I knew i could turn to FAOL! I went to the hook and hackle site but can't find any kit under $97.75 US, am i looking in the wrong place?????

Blog Entries

Click on the picture of the month and you will go to the sale page. Some kits are 20%-40% off.

GregF & DL;
    My drier is an old electric rotisserie I found at a garage sale for a buck! A couple of wood "V" blocks added and rubber bands to turn the rod.
    Just started a 6'6" 2 wgt. Forcast from H&H and yes you can build it in 2 days!! Or Less!!
    Somewhere in here fcch (I believe) told about using a piece of card board to stick the guides into according to assembly directions. I use a scrap of 1/2" foam insulation.
    Dl;
    When Chris sends the video do practice on some dowel rod first. Winding the guides is the trickiest and most time consuming part.
    I'm thinking about Christmas gifts for my flyfishing friends!

------------------

+ Reply to Thread