+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TFO's New 8' 6" Cutthroat Tenkara Rod Available at Blue Ribbon Flies

Default TFO's New 8' 6" Cutthroat Tenkara Rod Available at Blue Ribbon Flies

TFO has brought out a second Tenkara rod. Here is the link: http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/sho...at_tenkara_86/

Does every TFO Tenkara rod have to be $199? At 8'6" that's probably putting a lot of money in the name (ok, and for the Yellowstone). But at that price it should be a 2-way extending to about 10'2" - which would about be the rod some of us have said is needed.

As it is, I wish they would describe the rod a bit more. I think Chris has spoiled us with his fine first-hand descriptions of the rods he sells.

Lynn, I agree with you 100%. TFO probably thinks $199.00 is pretty reasonable compared to what their mid line and top end Western fly rods sell for, and that's the market they are hoping to appeal to at Blue Ribbon Flies. I tried to find more information on the rod and or some rod reviews but nothing showed up, which raises the possibility that the Cutthroat Tenkara Rod is a BRF exclusive rod and not generally available on the wider fly fishing market. Nobody else comes up to Tenkarabum's standards and service as far as I know, at least in this country.

I agree as well. Too expensive for a first run tenkara rod coming from a company that has little knowledge of tenkara. Not worth $100 IMO.

I also agree that Chris is at the top of his game. He's my best trusted source of all things in the fixed line category.
    Last edited by jd_smith; 09-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.

I've never fished a TFO Tenkara rod but I know of a couple of people who really enjoy fishing theirs. That said I'd imagine they are doing something right and selling rods of they add this to the line up.

Brandon

I sure hope they did not just eliminate the butt section. I am probably just being my typical, cynical self however It would not surprise me considering some of the silly stuff surrounding their bumbling entry into the market i.e failure to consult any experienced T anglers, Lefty's remarks, action like a telescoping western rod and let us not forget - the instructor in Japanese PJs.

I believe the TFO rods are kind of a training wheels bridge the gap step between western fly rods and real fixed line fly rods - something with a stiff enough tip to feel familiar to western fly fishermen and be capable of casting the lightest weight PVC coated 000 fly lines and 0.024 inch diameter, 20 Lb. test, running line. I am sure there are a lot of western fly fishermen out there who are interested enough in Tenkara fly fishing to want to give it a try, but are reluctant to make a complete leap away from what they are familiar with all the way into Tenkara tackle 100%, which would involve giving up indicator/weighted nymph fishing to a large degree as they know it. In that respect the TFO rods may actually be doing Tenkara style fly fishing a service by introducing western anglers to a watered down version of Tenkara fly fishing, which may cause said anglers to look into the sport a little more seriously in the future once they experience some fishing success. And when they see that they can get real good quality fixed line rods for considerably less than they have spent on the TFO Tenkara rods, I believe they will be encouraged to try and buy more genuine Tenkara style fixed line rods and give them an honest try. And once they try them, I believe they will be hooked on Tenkara fly fishing for good.

+ Reply to Thread