+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold ...

Lightbulb Gold ...

... is where you find it.

Decided to do some prospecting.

( The following photos form a rough "panaroma" of the search area. )

Hiked about four miles with 1600' elevation gain to one of our mountain lakes - lake surface elevation just over 8500'. While exploring a stretch of the shoreline, saw a number of sporadic rises, but none within casting distance. Floated a small hopper pattern over a few patches of water that looked promising, but got no response.

So, I guess I'll have to go back if I want to add golden trout to the list of fishies I've caught.

John

P.S. It was a great place to get skunked. The exercise and views alone were worth the effort. I'd go back there without a fly rod in hand.
    The fish are always right.

John,
    I agree, worth every step to see beautiful country like that. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Beautiful country, it appears to be getting a little chilly up there.

I take it that is a natural lake, an old volcano?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Great look'in spot..., thanks for sharing your photos..
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Just beautiful John. Thanks

Looks like you're not suffering too much while your home waters are too hot for you, is it cooling off yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    "Totally natural" excludes the golden trout population, which are imports from the California Sierra Nevada mountains. John
    I remember reading in Gen. Chuck Yeager's autobiography, that he aided, maybe not quite legally, in stocking some golden in some mountain lakes somewhere in the western mountains. That was probably closer to Edwards AFB.

I was thinking if you got one of those lightweight inflatables and filled it with helium, it could pull you up the hill.

John,

The one thing I can tell you about float tubing and inflatable pontoon, the fastest you can go is really slow. I have had thunderstorms get above me before I recognized the sound in the distance was thunder and headed for the shoreline. Knowing the 3 ft. of you sticking above the water is the tallest thing on the lake is not a reassuring feeling during a thunderstorm. Winds at 104 is when you get under something substantial and hope for the best.

Several years ago, a friend and I were at Earl Park Lake on the Ft. Apache Reservation, there was a guy and his wife who got there shortly after we did. As he stepped into his float tube, it exploded. We figured he aired it up in Phoenix or some other lower altitude, as we were somewhere around 8,000 - 9,000'MSL. It's always best to wait until you get in close proximity of the lake for final inflation, a friend also learned not to leave his tube in the sun.

Thanks for the trip and the pics John.. you still are an inspiration for some of my trips.. including the last one I went on.. when the fog was thick and the rain was coming down and I am walking down the trail with an umbrella in my hand thinking .. John says its ok, go ahead... lol and then I walk up on a bear at the beginning of the upper part of the trail and I say.. yep Johns right, might not of seen that that if this was a perfect day and everyone was out.... thank you again for your reports...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread