+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Hooks...

VSF was formed by member of of Flyfish@ as the first commercial fly fishing site on the WWW in the late 1980s or early 1990s. It was then purchased by Fly Fisherman Magazine.

Flyfish@ is a mailing list that still exists and was how we old farts communicated before the invention of Netscape Navigator, the first web browser.

Back in the day we discussed these hooks, and we used bare red hooks on the San Juan as a red chironomid larva imitations to catch trout.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 09-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have used the hooks that ya' got in CO with just a turn or two of Peacock Herl behind the eye, on the right, below, is the other red hook from Daiichi I use...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I've never tried them, but I gotta say, they look pretty good. maybe I'll give them a shot here directly. It'll be Buzzer time before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Back in the day we discussed these hooks, and we used bare red hooks on the San Juan as a red chironomid larva imitations to catch trout.
    Yep. The simplest fly I "tie" is to tie a bare red hook onto my tippet.

Once in while, I'll decide that's cheating and take a turn of peacock herl just behind the eye. I can't say that it's noticeably more effective, though, then just the bare hook, which works fine.
    Bob

I know a few guides on the San Juan in northern New Mexico that used to use a bare red hook with great success.

They have since stopped the practice for economic reasons. It's hard to charge a client for a bare hook.

But they work. Quite a few conventional tackle bass anglers use them and feel they give an advantage.

I've tried tying bass patterns on red hooks, but haven't found them to be more effective than the non colored hooks I've always used.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread