+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foam Crazy...

Hybrid View

Default Foam Crazy...

About four years ago my fellow guide and fly tier Walter Wiese came across some "wood grain" 2mm tan and brown foam. Wally tied some killer hopper patterns with this stuff and he gave me a sheet or two of it. I have tied a bunch of my Wrapped Foam Hoppers with it but saved and guarded them for my own fishing. That stuff is long gone!

Since then both Wally and I have kept our eyes open for "unique" fly tying foam. Well the other day my wife had to stop in AC Moore and buy a few things so I went in with her just to check on the craft foam - Yeah baby, jack pot; Leopard Yellow, Tiger Orange and Zebra Pink.... I see Golden Stones, Salmon Flies and Pink Hoppers jumping out of these sheets of foam already.

Don't worry Wally, I got a couple of sheets of each for you. I cleaned them out, buying all they had... I'll stop by today to see if they have any more...... as you might have guessed Wally and I tie a ton of flies!

Leopards and Tigers and Zebras, Oh my!

Last edited by dr korn; 09-19-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Doug,

Those are pretty wild, but lets see you guys make a hopper out of Clown Barf foam:

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Doug,

Those are pretty wild, but lets see you guys make a hopper out of Clown Barf foam:

Regards,
    Scott
    Yikes, now that's wild... not sure what to do with that... LOL Crazy stuff... But I like the Clown Hopper name.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

It looks like the background at a Jefferson Airplane concert; I'd call it the Timothy Leary Hopper (I'm dating myself here folks).

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I'd call it the Timothy Leary Hopper (I'm dating myself here folks). Regards, Scott
    Half the members said "WHO?" but half of us understood you perfectly. I heard they were releasing some of his papers, recipes for LCD???
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 09-21-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Timothy Leary = LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide) and "turn on, tune in, drop out"

I thought the foam that Weise demonstrated had color all the way through. I still have one sheet of it. I thought I had found the mother-lode of the same and bought it from a vendor in China. It is ink stamped on instead of component as the hopper video below and the Clown Foam above. If anyone finds the component foam please let me know...glad to trade you for any of the ink stamped "stuff" I have.

If someone said WHO? I would have said, no, Jefferson Airplane and an Abott and Costello "Who's on First" routine would have broken out.

Last edited by TaB; 09-21-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I heard they were releasing some of his papers, recipes for LCD???
    I don't think he made any himself. He originally imported it legally, as an experimental (and apparently successful) treatment for alcoholism.

Are there really people so young as to not know who he was?

What size are the patterns on those pieces of foam? Are they still discernable when you cut it to tying size?
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread