+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchors?

Think about it... a bass boat with huge motor uses a 10 - 15# weight.

Now exactly how much do u really need for a canoe or kayak?

We use 1/2# and 1# weights... work very well, even in light current...

You just have to give it some line, as it won't hold when placed directly below your boat...
    Last edited by bowfin47; 10-04-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    You just have to give it some line, as it won't hold when placed directly below your boat...
    You mean a chunk of iron dangling below my boat won't keep me from floating away? I had never thought much about it but I can believe some people don't realize it has to come in contact with the bottom of the stream or lake. The speed of the flow makes a lot of difference in what will hold and what will not. I used a 10# vinyl covered weight off a barbell on my Fishcat float tube in the Hooch. There were places where that would not hold me in the stream. The total force of a stream is really easy to underestimate, as I found out when it flipped my tube.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You can also try a drift sock, I use mine all the time in a canoe. Depending on how you want to float down a shoreline, it can be tied at different parts of the boat to help position your cast.

I use an anchor trolley on the right side of the kayak using carabiners and a small pulley attached to the carry handles with a 8 lb dumb bell.
    In addition to stop the kayak swinging in the wind. I have a 5 lb weight from the front carry handle with a line back to my seat. Drop it whenever needed.
    I used to use the two anchor system on the kayak but the rear anchor jammed a couple of times, once the line jammed and the anchor was partly in the water and got caught up in weeds etc. I am overweight and too old to turn around and free it, almost a disaster. So I went back to the trolley anchor and point anchor, much safer for me.

Pyramid anchor best for holding in current

take a look at www.texaskayakfisherman.com they have a lot of general info on kayak rigging. im pretty sure they have a video on rigging an anchor trolley, and probably have some recomendations on anchor styles, for both fresh and saltwater situations

I use a (what used to be a) 3 lb. coffee can with an eye bolt in the middle filled with concrete on a larger boat. Perhaps a (what used to be a) 1 lb. coffee can would work for a kayak.

I use a half of a sash weight. I have it tied to a float and then to the ring on my trolley with a slip-knot. That way if I have to let it loose, I can go back and get it. I also have a 3/4 piece of a sash weight, but have never had to resort to it.

If you know anyone who remodels houses sash weights are easy to get.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread