+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just to see opinions before i buy another.

Hybrid View

Default Just to see opinions before i buy another.

Discontinued Sage vantage 804-2 or a current St Croix imperial .Both are dollars difference in price.Would the sage bother you being discontinued.

Blog Entries

Thomas,

Nope, not at all. Except for my bamboo rod, I fish Sage rods. Over the years almost all of them have become discontinued as Sage updates their line of rods. I don't always understand why they make some of the changes but they make such great rods I just go with it. But, while they discontinue rods they do still repair/replace those rods when and if they break. If they ever stop doing that for a particular rod then they will upgrade you to another rod for a fraction of the cost. They are a very good company. That said, some of my friends really like their St Croix rods and St Croix does make a good rod. So it just comes down to which rod and rod company you want to fish with.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Are you buying a name or a rod? Cast both and buy the one you can cast or feels the best for you.

I own a Sage RPL - an older model for sure. I love how it fishes, I have broken the rod four times and always had a pleasant experience with warranty from Sage. I have since received a St. Croix Imperial 9ft 5wt rod and now fish with it exclusively as I love the action and the rod in general. I can't compare it to the Sage rod you mentioned but I know the St. Croix does everything I've ever asked for from a utility rod: delicate dries, heavy, multi-fly nymph rigs and streamers. This rod gets it done. Good luck on you selection.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I completely edited this post ,I had done some swap trading with Dave at trade stuff.com and contacted him and bought back my St Croix 764-4 legend ultra.I have a sneaky suspicion St Croix will reintroduce this rod in a different for and in case mine breaks it can be replaced.I just like a 7'6" 4 weight in our mountain streams here in NC and this will save wear and tear on my two Loomis' 4 weights that are no longer made.
    Last edited by Thomas; 09-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Well to throw a loop in the mix , I have traded with someone that has My Sage SPL 474.3 that is warrentied to me and has never been fished but by me but he wants 350.00 and a St Croix Legend Ultra 764-4 also owned but not fished by me for 250.00.The problem with the sage to the best of my memory it fished dries well but indicator-nympth rigs gave it problems.Also I will use it for #8-10 panfish poppers that I feel the legend ultra would handle better.
    Go with the rod you like better. From the sounds of this, it seems that would be the Legend. "Better" is quite subjective when it comes to rods.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread